Construction Cost Overrun and Schedule Delay at Major Hotel and Convention Center Complex
Reportedly a failure of a structural steel threaded rod tension member caused damage to the structure at 2.5 million square foot hotel and convention center construction project, resulting in construction cost overruns and schedule delays. The threaded rods were utilized as tension members of the bow string arch trusses spanning 218.5 feet to support 87,000 square foot glass atrium roof and wall structures.
Rimkus was retained to determination of the extent of damage to a structure, construction cost overruns and construction schedule delays associated with the failure of a structural steel threaded rod tension members. We performed the following analysis.
- Conducted on-site inspection of structure.
- Analyzed reported deficiencies of structural steel threaded rod tension members.
- Reviewed and analyzed proposed truss repairs.
- Classified building component repairs of the threaded rod components.
- Defined the extent of the damage to the structure.
- Evaluated reported construction delays prior to the reported failure of the tension rod component.
- Analyzed reported project delays subsequent to reported tension rod failure and truss rod repair activities.
- Assessed construction cost overruns reportedly associated with construction schedule delays.