Brian L. Balega
Fire Consultant / CFI, CFEI, AK-CFI / Anchorage / Seattle
Mr. Balega studied Criminal Justice and Investigations during his undergraduate career, earning a B.S.O.E. degree in Human Services/Criminal Justice from Wayland Baptist University. This U.S. Army veteran has spent more than 20 years of his career in fire and police services, where he has investigated and determined the origin and cause of more than 600 fires involving commercial and residential structures, passenger vehicles, marine vessels, and heavy equipment.
Mr. Balega is a Certified Fire Investigator with Vehicle Endorsement (CFI(V)) with the International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI) and a Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI) with the National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI). He possesses extensive knowledge of fire and criminal investigations due to his experiences as a Police Officer with the Anchorage Police Department, as a Federal Task Force Officer with the Drug Enforcement Administration, and as a Fire Investigator with the Anchorage Fire Department. He is also a court-qualified expert witness in both criminal and civil proceedings. As a fire investigation expert, Mr. Balega has instructed numerous educational seminars and provided training to other industry professionals throughout his career. In 2012, Mr. Balega was honored with the State of Alaska Fire Service Instructor of the Year award for teaching members of state and local fire/police departments the foundational aspects of fire investigations, pattern recognition, and evidence collection.
Mr. Balega’s representative forensic engagements include the investigation and logistical coordination of single- and multi-family residential fires; large-loss fires and explosions involving residential and commercial structures; multi-unit residential fires in hotels, motels, and apartment buildings; commercial structural fires; passenger vehicle fires; and arson fires.
Education and Certifications
• Human Services/Criminal Justice, B.S.O.E.: Wayland Baptist University
• Criminal Justice, A.A.S.: Westmoreland County Community College
• Certified Fire Investigator with Vehicle Endorsement (CFI(V)): International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI)
• Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI): National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI)
• Certified Fire Investigator: International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC)
• Certified Fire and Explosion Investigation Instructor (CFII): National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI)
• Certified Fire Service Instructor II in State of Alaska (AK-CFI)
• Advanced Police Officer Certification: Alaska Police Standards Council