Eric J. Mayes
District Manager / ACTAR / Austin
Mr. Mayes holds a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering and a M.S. degree in Biomedical Engineering with an emphasis on impact-related trauma and injury consistency analysis. He is a certified Traffic Accident Reconstructionist (ACTAR #2106), Certified Crash Data Retrieval Technician and Analyst, and has specialized training in photogrammetric analysis.
Mr. Mayes work history includes oversight for the crash performance and certification of future model vehicle programs with a major U.S. automotive manufacturer. He has extensive exposure to many areas of automotive engineering including vehicle manufacturing, safety system design and testing and vehicle dynamics. His primary area of focus is in human biomechanics, occupant injury analysis, seat belt and airbag design, and vehicle crash testing and certification. Prior to joining Rimkus, Mr. Mayes designed vehicle safety systems, including the design of advanced restraint systems and airbags, focusing on occupant protection in vehicle collisions.
As a forensic engineer, Mr. Mayes’s primary areas of consulting expertise includes vehicle occupant kinematics and injury consistency biomechanics for a variety of environments. Mr. Mayes has also taken specialized certification training with respect to the installation of child safety seats (CSS) and can perform inspections with respect to the CSS location, orientation, selection and installation issues as well as assess the effects on child occupants.
Education and Certifications
• Mechanical Engineering, B.S.: Kettering University (GMI)
• Biomedical Engineering, M.S.: Wayne State University
• Certified Accident Reconstructionist: Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction ACTAR #2106
• Crash Reconstruction at Traffic Signal Intersections: Forensic Traffic Specialist
• Certified National Child Passenger Safety Technician: Safe Kids.org/NHTSA
• Certified Crash Data Retrieval Technician: Bosch
• Certified Crash Data Analyst
• Mathematical Dynamic Modeling (MADYMO)
• Photomodeler Collision Investigation