Gary L. Wieland
Principal Consultant / P.E. / Houston
Mr. Wieland completed his BS degree in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Wyoming and spent 36 years working for Marathon Oil/Marathon Petroleum/Marathon Pipeline companies in various US locations and in London. During this time Mr. Wieland was involved primarily in the engineering, project management, supervision, commissioning, and management of pipeline facilities that included gathering lines, DOT pipelines, pump stations, above ground storage tanks, scheduling, FERC Tariffs, SCADA, and joint venture operating agreements. These responsibilities included onshore areas in the continental US and Alaska as well as offshore areas in the Gulf of Mexico and the North Sea.
Other specific areas of experience include DOT regulations, Rights-of Way, cathodic protection, pipe manufacturing, coating application, construction, maintenance, and emergency response. In addition, several years were spent managing an engineering group that was responsible for design, permitting, and construction of convenience stores/gas stations, truck stops, UST facilities, terminal facilities including tanks, loading racks, and associated facilities.
He has a PE license in Illinois, Texas, and Wyoming, has served on a number of API pipeline and marketing subcommittees, and has written numerous reports, provided depositions, and testified in a number of engagements.
- Analysis of third party damages to DOT cross country pipelines
- Right of Way disagreements
- Analysis of loss of life during a hydrotest
- Evaluation of storm damages to a large gathering system
- Evaluation of damages and repairs to offshore pipelines
- Analysis of damages to ASTs (above ground storage tanks)
- Analysis of damages to internal floating roofs in ASTs
- Analysis of damages to pipeline river crossings and replacement costs
- Preparation of cost estimates for repair of pipeline damages
- Evaluation of cathodic protection damages to third parties
- Analysis of tax/tariff issues regarding end of year petroleum product inventory
- Evaluation of Emergency Response to a large crude oil release
- Evaluation of operational issues concerning large crude oil release
- Evaluation of construction costs, weather delays, Force Majeure, contractor performance, insurance claims, etc.
Education and Registrations
BS Mechanical Engineering, University of Wyoming
Registered Professional Engineer - Illinois, Texas, Wyoming