Gary R. Corey, Jr.
Senior Consultant / ACTAR / Chicago/Willowbrook
Mr. Corey a fully Accredited Traffic Accident Reconstructionist with the Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR #1510), a National Child Safety Seat Technician, and an accredited Drug Recognition Expert. He served as a police officer for the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office and the Glynn County Police Department in Georgia for 18 years. As a certified law enforcement instructor, he teaches basic accident investigation, radar, LiDAR and driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
Mr. Corey is a certified FAA drone pilot. He has completed aerial inspections and photographs of crash scenes and crush damage profiles of vehicles.
In his role as a police accident reconstructionist, Mr. Corey has investigated approximately 800 traffic accidents as the uniformed at-scene police investigator and has been the follow-up police investigator after-the-fact for approximately 40 other accidents. His role has been to determine primary collision factors, estimate speeds, determine pre- and post-impact trajectories and general reconstruction of the accident. He has taken statements, photographs, and measurements, collected physical evidence, prepared scaled diagrams and collision reports, and provided both miscellaneous technical assistance and court testimony. His court testimony history includes appearances in city, state, and superior court and has consulted on cases for plaintiffs and defendants.
Mr. Corey has been involved in the reconstruction and investigation of incidents involving auto-auto, auto-object, auto-pedestrian, auto-bicycle, auto-truck, auto-motorcycle, pedestrian-motorcycle, and motorcycle-object accidents. As a private consultant, he has assisted in the reconstruction of approximately 1,200 traffic accidents. He has also participated in rapid response team investigations of multi-vehicle heavy truck incidents. He has performed skid mark analysis, speed estimation from skid marks, slide, linear momentum, projectile motion and energy, damage evaluation, time-distance studies, auto-pedestrian impact analysis, photography, photogrammetry, documentation of roadway evidence, and crush damage profile utilizing a total station.
Education and Certifications
• Certified Traffic Accident Reconstructionist: Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR #1510)
• Certified Mapping Specialist: Professional Society of Forensic Mapping Specialist
• Certified Peace Officer: The Peace Officer Standards and Training Council, GA Reg. No. PBLE961427S)
• Certified Radar Operator: The Peace Officer Standards and Training Council, (GA Reg. No. PS09990937S)
• Certified Laser Operator: The Peace Officer Standards and Training Council (GA Reg. No. PS16030515S)
• Certified Field Training Officer: The Peace Officer Standards and Training Council (GA Reg. No. PS08020284S)
• Certified Operator for the purpose of analyzing breath alcohol content using the Intoxilyzer Model 5000: Georgia Bureau of Investigation, Division of Forensic Science, (# 26207)
• Certified Operator for the purpose of analyzing breath alcohol content using the Intoxilyzer Model 9000: Georgia Bureau of Investigation, Division of Forensic Science, (# 926207)
• General Law Enforcement Instructor: Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council, (Cert. No. I08955)
• Advanced Law Enforcement Instructor in Radar & Laser Detection: Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council, (Cert. No. I08955)
• Certified Instructor in Radar & Laser Detection: Institute of Police Technology and Management
• Fleet Pro Qualified In-Service Brake Adjuster for Commercial Motor Vehicles: Fleet Pro
• Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician: NHTSA (# T700323)
• Certified Drug Recognition Expert: International Association of Chiefs of Police
• Certified DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Instructor: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration