Mr. James Desmond holds a Certified Director of Safety Certificate, an OSHA 30-Hour General Industry Certificate, and a Driver Improvement Instructor/Trainer Certificate most notably, along with numerous other relevant certificates and industry awards. He currently serves as the Florida Trucking Association Safety Management Council Education Chair and maintains a current Class A CDL with all relevant endorsements.
Mr. Desmond has 30+ years of experience in the commercial transportation industry, the most recent 12 years in senior safety and compliance leadership roles following nearly 2-million accident-free miles driven in 41 states over 20 years as a CMV driver. He gained broad-based safety and regulatory compliance experience as a Regional Safety Manager for R+L Carriers, progressing into roles with increasing responsibility throughout his career. Mr. Desmond has led efforts that resulted in a fleet safety award as well as positive outcomes in various federal and state regulatory reviews, including FMCSA, PHMSA, OSHA, and CHP. He has worked collaboratively and solely to develop safety process management tools, consulted on an electronic logging device (ELD) product design, and created custom training curriculum. Mr. Desmond has also designed and developed modern DOT compliance and safety programs for four companies since 2015, moving on to new opportunities following the completion of each program design and successful implementation of these programs.
Mr. Desmond consults on several areas of the commercial transportation industry including driver standard of care; DOT compliance; driver hiring, qualifications, and training; loading/unloading procedures; load securement; forklift operations; loading dock operations; and longer combination vehicles (LCV) operation.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS:
• Certified Director of Safety: University of Central Florida (2014)
• 30-Hour; General Industry: OSHA (2011)
• 3-D Driver Improvement Program Instructor/Trainer: The Hartford Insurance Co. (2011)
• Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A: The State of Florida (2018)
• American Heart Association: Heartsaver Instructor Re-certification (2014)
• NY State Thruway Authority: Longer Combination Vehicle Permit (LCV) Re-certification (2014)
• Indiana Toll Road Authority: Longer Combination Vehicle Permit (LCV) (2012)
• American Heart Association: Heartsaver Instructor Certification (2012)
• NY State Thruway Authority: Longer Combination Vehicle Permit (LCV) (2010)
• Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A: The State of NJ (1992)