John R. Farill
Fire Practice Leader / IAAI-CFI, NAFI-CFEI / Nashville
Mr. Farill is Certified Fire Investigator, a Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator, Certified Vehicle Fire Investigator, and Certified Marine Investigator. He has received his Pro Board certification through the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications as a Fire Investigator and frequently instructs fire origin and cause classes for the insurance industry.
Mr. Farill started his public safety career as a police officer in 1986 before transferring to the Palm Beach County Fire Rescue as a Fire Investigator in 2002. As a Palm Beach County Fire Rescue Fire Investigator and a Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office Investigator, he performed fire origin and cause investigations, criminal apprehension, interview and interrogation of suspects and witnesses, processing of evidence, and criminal investigations.
As the lead investigator, Mr. Farill’s forensic experience encompasses investigation of more than 1200 fires involving fire and explosion causation in industrial settings, residential and commercial structures, vehicles, marine vessels, aircraft, and wildland fires.
As a forensic investigator, his areas of expertise include management of fire scene analysis, evidence and data collection, monitoring of destructive and non-destructive testing, investigative interviews and scene photography. He has provided legal depositions and court testimony in support of legal and technical findings as an expert witness.
Education and Certifications
- Criminal Justice and Fire Science: Palm Beach State College
- Certificate of Occupational Proficiency in Welding Technology: Pensacola State College
- Certified Fire Fighter II: Florida Division of State Fire Marshal
- Certified Fire Investigator: International Association of Arson Investigators
- Fire Investigator I: Florida Division of State Fire Marshal
- Fire Investigator II: Florida Division of State Fire Marshal
- Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator: National Association of Fire Investigators
- Certified Fire Investigator: National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications
- Certified Vehicle Fire Investigator: National Association of Fire Investigators
- Licensed Private Investigator: Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Vermont
- Certified Marine Investigator: International Association of Marine Investigators