John R. Van Voorhies
Fire Consultant / Charlotte
Mr. John Van Voorhies is a Certified Fire Investigator (IAAI-CFI (V)) with the International Association of Arson Investigators, a Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI) with the National Association of Fire Investigators, and a Certified Fire Investigator (NCCFI) with the North Carolina Fire and Rescue Commission. He is a Licensed Private Investigator with the North Carolina Board of Private Protective Services, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services, and the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance. He has been active in the career and volunteer fire services for the past 35 years, holding the positions of Firefighter, Engineer, Lieutenant, Instructor, City and County Fire Investigator, and Supervisor of the City Fire Investigation Unit. Mr. Van Voorhies has also worked in the private fire investigation field for the past 11 years. He currently serves as a shift Fire/Arson Investigator with the Charlotte Fire Investigation Task Force where he has investigated and determined the origin and cause of more than 1,500 fires, to include commercial, industrial, and residential structures, machines, and vehicles. Mr. Van Voorhies has completed numerous educational seminars and continuing education courses in the field of fire investigation, and has also testified in depositions involving the investigation of fire.
Mr. Van Voorhies’ specialized area of expertise is electrical fire cause and determination. He is a North Carolina licensed Unlimited Electrical Contractor, and his work experience in the electrical industry spans over 30 years. Throughout his career, he has instructed programs on the topics of fire investigation, electrical fire cause, and vehicle fires for the public and private fire investigation sectors.
- Determination of the cause and origin of fires and explosions involving residential structure and multi-family dwellings.
- Investigation and logistical coordination of large loss fires and explosions involving commercial and residential structures.
- Determination and investigation of arson fires and the collection of arson evidence. Investigation of fires in passenger vehicles and trucks.
- Licensed Private Investigator - North Carolina, South Carolina, & Tennessee
- Certified Fire Investigator (IAAI-CFI)
- Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI)
- Certified Fire Investigator Vehicle Fire Endorsement (CFI-V)
- North Carolina Certified Fire Investigator (NC-CFI)