John R. Van Voorhies
Fire Consultant / NAFI-CFEI, IAAI-CFI, IAAI-CFI-V / Charlotte
For the last 37 years, Mr. Van Voorhies’ career has been concentrated in the field of fire service, with special expertise in electrical fire cause and determination investigations. He is a Certified Fire Investigator (CFI) through the International Association of Arson Investigators as well as the North Carolina Department of Insurance’s Fire and Rescue Commission, and a Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI) through the National Association of Fire Investigators. He is also a licensed private investigator in multiple jurisdictions.
In the public and volunteer fire service, Mr. Van Voorhies has held the positions of firefighter, engineer, lieutenant, instructor, city and county fire investigator, and city fire investigation unit supervisor. He has also worked in the private fire investigation field for the past 11 years. He currently serves as a shift fire/arson investigator with the Charlotte Fire Investigation Task Force where he has investigated and determined the origin and cause of more than 1,500 fires, including incidents occurring at commercial, industrial, and residential structures and with machines and vehicles.
Throughout his career, Mr. Van Voorhies has instructed various programs on the topics of fire investigation, electrical fire cause, and vehicle fires for the public and private fire investigation sectors. In addition, he has testified in depositions involving fire investigations. To stay up-to-date on the latest developments in his fields of expertise, he is an active member of multiple professional organizations, including the National Society of Professional Insurance Investigators, the North Carolina Insurance Crime Information Exchange Association, the International Association of Arson Investigators (national and North Carolina chapter), the National Association of Fire Investigators, and the North Carolina State Fireman’s Association.
Mr. Van Voorhies is also a North Carolina-licensed Unlimited Electrical Contractor with electrical industry experience spanning over 30 years.
Education and Certifications
• Fire Science Technology, A.S.: Corning Community College
• Certified Fire Investigator-Vehicle Endorsement (CFI-V): International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI)
• Licensed Unlimited Electrical Contractor: North Carolina
• North Carolina Certified Fire Investigator (NC-CFI): North Carolina Department of Insurance’s Fire and Rescue Commission
• Certified Fire Investigator (CFI): IAAI
• Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI): National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI)
• Certified Code Enforcement Officer: New York
• Nationally Certified Fire Officer I and II: National Professional Qualifications System (NPQS)
• Nationally Certified Fire Instructor I and II: NPQS
• Nationally Certified Fire Investigator: NPQS
• Nationally Certified Firefighter I and II: NPQS
• Certified Level I and II Fire Investigator: New York
• Certified Firefighter: New York
• Fire Investigation Unit of the Year: IAAI North Carolina/South Carolina chapters
• Charlotte Fire Department Unit Citation
• Firefighter of the Year: White Plains Rotary Club