Joseph M. Ellington
Fire Practice Leader / IAAI-CFI, NAFI-CFEI, CVFI, CFE / Houston
Mr. Ellington holds a B.S. degree in Law Enforcement and is a Certified Fire Investigator with the International Association of Arson Investigators and a Certified Vehicle Fire Investigator, Certified Fire Investigation Instructor and Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator with the National Association of Fire Investigators.
He has over 35 years of broad experience in the field of advanced technical investigations including a combination of field and management assignments in both small- and large-scale fire and explosion property losses, fire death and injury cases, product defects and liability cases, arson for fraud investigations, vehicle accident investigation and reconstruction, computer forensics, premises safety and security, and training & development solutions.
Specific areas of expertise include primary responsibility for the direct management and supervision of cases where the origin, cause and responsibility of fires and explosions are at issue. These assignments involve residential, commercial, industrial, marine, offshore production platforms, wind turbines, chemical and manufacturing plants and warehouses, heavy equipment, vehicles, product liability and injury/death related fires and explosions.
Consulting expertise includes evaluation of litigation related matters involving the case areas described above as well as explosions involving LPG, natural gas, and high explosives, fire code and standards compliance, product and label warning evaluations, fire detection and response systems, fire dynamics analysis, computer fire modeling and simulation, investigation of fraud related fire incidents, computer forensics involving fire damaged systems.
Since beginning his career, Mr. Ellington has personally investigated and documented the origin of over 3,000 fires & explosions, performed hundreds of internal technical reviews of investigations performed by others, and has testified in dozens of matters with respect to issues relating to the origin, cause and responsibilities of fires and explosion in both state and federal courts.
Education and Certifications
• Police Science, A.A.S: South Texas Junior College
• Law Enforcement, B.S.: Sam Houston State University
• Fire Sciences/Firefighting (Post Graduate Studies): University of New Haven
• Certified Fire Investigator: International Association of Arson Investigators
• Certified Vehicle Fire Investigator: National Association of Fire Investigators
• Certified Fire Investigation Instructor: National Association of Fire Investigators
• Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator: National Association of Fire Investigators
• Certified Fraud Examiner: Association of Certified Fraud Examiners