Juan C. Ramirez
Principal Consultant / Ph.D., P.E. / Chicago
Dr. Ramirez specializes in the investigation of loss of containment failures resulting in fires and explosions from equipment that utilizes transports, handles, or stores gases, liquids, and combustible dusts. Past work has included thermal-fluids industrial systems (e.g., gas-fired grain dryers, ovens, compressors, refrigeration and cryogenic systems, grain elevators, heat exchangers, pumps, and conveyors) and investigations involving underground flammable gas migration. Additionally, he has significant experience with dust fires and explosions. In residential settings, Dr. Ramirez has investigated gas explosions, as well as fires and burns associated with consumer electronics, furnaces, refrigerators, humidifiers, space heaters, showers, and heating pads.
Prior to obtaining his Ph.D., Dr. Ramirez worked in engineering consulting designing heating, ventilation, air-conditioning (HVAC) and refrigeration systems for retail stores, grocery stores, and office buildings. He uses that experience to investigate HVAC system failures. Past work has included system performance issues including building moisture management failures, asphyxiation by refrigerant release, carbon monoxide exposure, and pipe bursting due to water freezing.
- Gas and Dust explosions involving a wide variety of industrial systems
- Commercial MEP, HVACR equipment failures
- Consumer product failures
- Evaluation of building HVAC commissioning process
- Fire origin and cause investigations
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering – University of Iowa
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering – Missouri University of Science & Technology
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering – Universidad Central de Venezuela
- Registered Professional Engineer - Illinois