Leroy R. Waite
Senior Consultant / Ph.D., P.E. / Philadelphia
Dr. Waite received his Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering from Iowa State University, where he also studied Mechanical Engineering. His upper-level coursework focused on biomechanics, ultrasound, medical instrumentation, and biomedical fluid mechanics. He is now a registered professional engineer in more than a dozen states and speaks fluent German, in addition to his native English language. His primary areas of consulting expertise include injury consistency biomechanics, vehicle accident reconstruction, medical device failures, and fluid and biofluid mechanics.
As a forensics consultant, Dr. Waite performs biomechanical analysis on cases involving low-speed vehicle accidents, occupational injuries, driver determination, falling objects, helmet and seat belt usage, sports-related injuries, and slip/trip/fall incidents. He also performs occupant motion studies to determine injury potential/consistency, vehicle occupant positions, and seatbelt/helmet use. He uses both computer and physical models to reconstruct those accidents and to measure the load and injury levels. His expertise has been beneficial to insurance carriers, law firms, risk managers, and corporate clients.
Prior to joining Rimkus, Dr. Waite was a Professor of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering professor at the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, and also the founding department head of the first ABET-accredited biomedical engineering program in the state of Indiana. His prior teaching and research experience includes multiple aspects of orthopedics, knee joint biomechanics, and cardiovascular fluid mechanics. His key achievements include performing biomechanical motion analysis using infrared motion-analysis systems and mathematical modeling of blood flow through the mitral valve. Dr. Waite also possesses an extensive publication record and has performed collaborative research in interdisciplinary and international groups.
Education and Certifications
• Biomedical Engineering, Ph.D.: Iowa State University
• Biomedical Engineering, M.S.: Iowa State University
• Mechanical Engineering, B.S.M.E.: Iowa State University
• Registered Professional Engineer: Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, and Kentucky
• Certified XL Tribometrist Certification Program: EXCEL Tribometers, LLC
• Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Symposium (RMBS)
• American Society of Mechanical Engineering (ASME)
• SAE International (formerly the Society of Automotive Engineering)