Luke W. Dekarske
Senior Consultant / P.E. / Minneapolis
Mr. DeKarske holds a B.C.E. in Civil Engineering with over 12 years of experience in heavy lift crane and commercial building design. His industry knowledge covers design, engineering, engineering management, project management, structural design and evaluation, scheduling, cost estimating, and budget control. He is also educated in sustainable building practices and energy-efficient building design.
Mr. DeKarske’s areas of expertise include structural analysis of existing crane components, as well as retrofit and new design of crane components to achieve customer requirements such as boom extensions, capacity uprates, and additions of accessories. He has also provided guidance for transitional crane operations such as jacking procedures, lift arrangements, boom removal, and rail replacement. He is a valuable resource for hook load/eccentricity checks, dual lift checks, and lower block twist mitigation. In the area of commercial and residential building, Mr. DeKarske has designed and inspected the construction of steel, concrete, and masonry buildings and retaining walls, including quality assurance and control of reinforcing steel, concrete, and soil for compaction.
His current work in the field of forensic engineering includes inspection and analysis of failures in civil/structural engineering related to commercial, school, and residential properties. Assignments have included evaluations of structures for damage due to fire, storms, construction vibration, explosions, and vehicle impact, as well as moisture intrusion source identification, crane and rigging failures, and building failures during construction. Mr. DeKarske has provided expert testimony during appraisals and arbitration.
Education and Certifications
- B.S. Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- Registered Professional Engineer: Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Texas, Florida, Washington, Oregon, North Dakota, and South Dakota
- Certified Passive House Consultant: Passive House Institute US
- Mobile Crane and Rigging Inspector: Crane Inspection & Certification Bureau
- Certified Playground Safety Inspector: National Recreation and Park Association
- Certified XL Tribometrist: Excel Tribometers, LLC