Senior Consultant / Ph.D., ACTAR / Houston
Dr. Sweigart holds a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering and a doctorate in Bioengineering. Much of his research area of focus was orthopedic tissue characterization, repair, and regeneration.
Dr. Sweigart’s prior experience has included multiple aspects of the orthopedic and cardiovascular fields, including mechanical, biological, and structural characterization of orthopedic tissues, design, development, and FDA approval of a cardiovascular stitching device, tissue engineering, and development of a textbook on materials used in medicine
Dr. Sweigart’s primary areas of consulting expertise include injury causation biomechanics, vehicle accident reconstruction, child car seats, and playground safety. Dr. Sweigart performs biomechanical analysis on cases involving low and high speed accidents, pedestrian/bicycle accidents, slip and falls, falling objects, playground equipment, amusement rides and other injury accident/incidents. In addition, Dr. Sweigart performs vehicle accident reconstruction, including site mapping, vehicle inspection and documentation, and downloads of commercial vehicle engine control modules and passenger crash data recorders.
Education and Certifications
• Bioengineering, Ph.D.: Rice University
• Mechanical Engineering, B.S.: Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
• Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician
• Certified Crash Data Retrieval Technician
• Certified Accident Reconstructionist: Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstructionists (ACTAR #1915)
• Certified Playground Safety Inspector
• Registered Engineer in Training: Indiana
• Certified Forklift and Aerial Lift Operator