Matthew A. Burbaum
Senior Consultant / P.E. / San Francisco/San Jose
Mr. Burbaum earned his B.S in Mechanical Engineering degree from San Diego State University and a M.S in Mechanical Engineering degree from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. He has over six years of experience in the forensics field, performing mechanical and plumbing failure analyses, traffic accident reconstruction, and automotive testing. He is a licensed professional engineer in the state of California and is an ACTAR-accredited accident reconstructionist. He is certified for crash data retrieval and analysis and is a certified part 107 drone pilot with the FAA.
Mr. Burbaum has worked on a broad range of engineering projects. He has worked to rebuild the suspension system for a Formula SAE race car. He went on to design, create, and code a system of back sensors to track spinal motion and pain through daily living activities. In graduate school, he repaired a physical vapor deposition machine, performed failure analysis and repair of damaged piping to create near-perfect vacuum conditions.
Throughout his tenure as a forensic engineer, Mr. Burbaum has performed and participated in approximately 30 instrumented human and dummy crash tests, including many where he was an occupant. He has extensive knowledge in collision severity, occupant kinematics, forces, roadway markings, safety systems, and responses to vehicle collisions. He has investigated product failures such as appliances, water heaters, vehicle components (including brakes, engines, fuel injection, tires, and airbags). He has also investigated HVAC systems, fire sprinklers, as well as other mechanical and plumbing systems in residential and commercial buildings.
Education and Certifications
• Mechanical Engineering, M.S.: University of Nevada, Las Vegas
• Mechanical Engineering, B.S.: San Diego State University
• Licensed Professional Engineer: California
• Certified Accident Reconstructionist: Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction, ACTAR #3778
• Certified by the Institute for Police Technology and Management for Event Data Recorder Use in Traffic Crash Reconstruction
• Certified by the Institute for Police Technology and Management as a Technician for Crash Data Retrieval
• Certified with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA): Remote Pilot, License No. 4345986
• Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE): #6150435561