Matthew A. Burbaum
Senior Consultant / M.S.M.E. / San Francisco/San Jose
Mr. Burbaum holds a B.S.M.E. degree in Mechanical Engineering from San Diego State University (SDSU) and an M.S.M.E. degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). He has passed the Professional Engineer exam and is awaiting licensure. He is certified for crash data retrieval and analysis and is a certified part 107 drone pilot with the FAA.
As a student, Mr. Burbaum has worked on a broad range of engineering projects with a focus on vehicles and biomechanics. During his undergraduate studies, he worked to rebuild the suspension system for the Formula SAE race car. He went on to design, create, and code a system of back sensors to track spinal motion and pain through daily living activities. In graduate school, he worked to repair a vacuum sputtering machine through failure analysis and repair of broken components while working to create near-perfect vacuum conditions.
Throughout his tenure as a forensic engineer, Mr. Burbaum has performed and participated in approximately 30 instrumented human and dummy crash tests, including 3 where he was an occupant. He has attended extensive car crash conferences and presentations to better understand collision severity, occupant kinematics, forces, roadway markings, safety systems, and responses to vehicle collisions.
Mr. Burbaum began his professional career at General Atomics in San Diego, California, doing computer-aided design work for renovation projects; however, he quickly shifted into the forensics world. He began analyzing vehicle collisions in Las Vegas, Nevada, in 2014 while working on his master’s degree. He gained invaluable hands-on experience inspecting vehicles, performing Crash Data Retrieval, analyzing collision scenes, performing simulations, and performing calculations. He then utilized his experience to improve his collision reconstruction techniques in San Diego, California, before bringing his vehicle collision reconstruction experience to San Jose, California.
Education and Certifications
• Mechanical Engineering, M.S., University of Nevada, Las Vegas
• Mechanical Engineering, B.S., San Diego State University
• Society of Automotive Engineers Formula – SAE design competition
• Engineering Intern – State of California, Mechanical
• Passed the NCEES Professional Engineering Exam (Mechanical)
• Certified by the Institute for Police Technology and Management for Event Data Recorder Use in Traffic Crash Reconstruction
• Certified by the Institute for Police Technology and Management as a Technician for Crash Data Retrieval
• Certified with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) as a Remote Pilot
• Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), #6150435561