Matthew S. Mercer
Consultant / P.E. / Columbus
Mr. Mercer is a graduate of Ohio University with a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and graduate of Virginia Tech with a master’s degree in the field of civil/structural engineering. He has extensive experience with structural design, analysis, and the coordination of multi-disciplined engineering projects. This includes, but is not limited to work with deep and shallow foundations, steel and aluminum structures, electrical clearances, equipment mountings, lattice structures, electrical substations, transmission lines, underground utilities, site preparation, site layouts, construction support/management, building envelope, premises liability, construction defects, catastrophe assessments, structural fire damage, and structural failure cause and origin.
Mr. Mercer has been involved in various aspects of projects. His roles have included conceptual designs and proposals, full site designs, modifications to existing designs, scans and field measurements to produce information where none was available, site coordination, and on site construction support and engineering design in the field. He also has experience collaborating with multiple disciples working to coordinate and compile the work of subordinates on his team as part of a large and complex project. In addition, he has experience working as a researcher with VDOT to develop an idealized transverse connection for a conceptual bridge system. He has also developed concrete mixes and performed material testing to monitor concrete strength, creep and shrinkage properties to identify properties best suited for unique applications.
- Structural Evaluation
- Design and construction deficiencies/code compliance
- Building material failures
- Wind, hail, lightning, flood, tornado, and hurricane damage
- Foundation failures
- Source of moisture
- Roof system failures
- Settlement and subsidence
Education and Registrations
- B.S. – Civil Engineering – Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
- M.S. – Civil (Structural) Engineering – Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
- Professional Engineer (PE) – Licensed in Florida, Indiana, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina and West Virginia
- Publication – Transverse Sub-Assemblage Testing of the Inverted-T Bridge System. Virginia Polytechnic Institute. June 2012.