Michael J. Gavin
Fire Consultant / MSc, ChFP (Fire), MCSFS, MIFireInv, AlFireE, CFI / London, United Kingdom / Bristol, United Kingdom
Mr. Gavin’s professional career includes 26 years of service with the London Brigade, including 15 years of operational service at fire stations up to Watch Commander level and as a specialist Fire Investigation Officer.
Mr. Gavin has investigated the origin and cause of fires within the Fire and Rescue Service for over 8 years. His role involved responsibility for determining the origin and cause of fire and explosions, the assessment and evaluation of onsite conditions, identifying and collecting physical evidence, and preparing and presenting oral and written reports.
Mr. Gavin is a member of the International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI), the United Kingdom Association of Fire Investigators (UK-AFI), and the Institute of Fire Engineers at Associate grade (AIFireE). He holds professional membership of Chartered Society of Forensic Scientists and currently a candidate in their Chartered Practitioner Program.
Education and Certifications
• Fire Service National Promotion Examinations including Station Officer’s Examinations
• LFB Fire Investigation Foundation Course
• Gardner’s Practical Fire and Explosion Course
• Metropolitan Police Service Forensic Awareness Course
• Metropolitan Police Service Level 2 Interview Course
• Evidence-based Development Program for Fire Investigation, signed as competent, Dr. Mansi
• Attended the Gardner’s Advanced Fire and Explosion Course, DeHaan
• Level 5 Expert Witness Program, Bond Solon under Cardiff University
• Masters Degree (MSc) in Fire Investigation with Distinction, University of Central Lancashire
• IFE Associate membership, AIFireE
• Knowledge 1 Series Certificates in Fire Dynamics, Vehicle Fires, IAAI
• ChFP(Fire) Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences
• Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator, NAFI
• Certified Fire Investigator, IAAI