Michael J. Urban, P.E., ACTAR
Transportation Practice Leader
Mr. Michael Urban holds a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering and an M.S. in Computer and Electrical Engineering focused on autonomous vehicles. Mr. Urban is a registered professional engineer in several states. He is also a Certified Vehicle Accident Reconstructionist (ACTAR #1798) through the Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction.
His professional background, of more than 25 years of experience, consists of forensic evaluation of vehicular collisions; product and material failures; and automotive design, development, and testing; and evaluation of mechanical and structural automotive systems.
Mr. Urban’s forensic experience includes vehicle accident reconstruction for motorcycles, passenger vehicles, recreational vehicles, commercial tractor/trailers, slow-moving (agricultural) vehicles and construction equipment, vehicle component failure analysis, and insurance fraud/consistency. Additionally, Mr. Urban reviews and analyzes vehicle theft evaluations and evaluates recorded key/fob data as it relates to such evaluations. Mr. Urban is a member of the International Association of Auto Theft Investigators (IAATI).
Mr. Urban provides product and material failure analysis and cause analysis. Mr. Urban’s failure analyses include all varieties of mechanical systems such as piping and plumbing failures, residential appliances, hydraulic lift systems, forklifts, door systems, lift gates, chairs, and ladders. He has consulted on cases involving plumbing fitting and connections, mechanical equipment and machinery failures, nondestructive examination and testing, product design, and conformance assessment to government, corporate, industry, safety, and international standards. He has provided legal depositions and court testimony in support of technical findings for both civil and criminal proceedings.
Mr. Urban is a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) On-Road Autonomous Driving (ORAD) committee and SAE’s Advanced Driver Assistance Systems Committee.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS:
• Computer and Electrical Engineering, M.S.: Kettering University (2022)
• Mechanical Engineering, B.S.: University of Windsor (1997)
• Accident Analysis and Reconstruction (Master’s level courses): Wayne State University (2006)
• Licensed Professional Engineer: Florida, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Georgia, and Kentucky
• Class “Z” Endorsement – Air Brakes: Ontario Truck Driving School
• Certified Vehicle Accident Reconstructionist: The Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR #1798)
• Certified Forklift Operator (2008)
• Certified Aerial Lift Operator (2008)