Nicholas J. Olson
Fire Consultant / IAAI-CFI, NAFI-CFEI / Austin
Mr. Olson is a Certified Fire Investigator (CFI) by the International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI) and a Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI) by the National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI). Additionally, he holds the Motor Vehicle Fire credential endorsement through the IAAI and is also a Certified Vehicle Fire Investigator (CVFI) through NAFI. Mr. Olson holds active certifications in Texas as a Fire Investigator, Master Peace Officer, Firefighter, Fire Inspector, and Paramedic. Mr. Olson also has an associate degree in Criminal Justice and continues his pursuit of education through extensive continuing education and professional development training.
Mr. Olson has extensive experience in both the fire service and law enforcement with 19 years of service as a public safety professional and continues to serve as a firefighter, paramedic and police officer. Mr. Olson has experience in all facets of fire and explosion investigation procedures in both the public and private sector. Through his work, he has and developed positive working relationships with numerous local, state, and federal authorities.
As a full-time fire investigator, Mr. Olson’s experience includes determining the origin and cause of fires in residential and commercial structures, vehicles, watercraft, heavy equipment and wildland areas. Mr. Olson has provided testimony in both criminal courts and civil depositions. He regularly provides continuing education presentations to insurance and subrogation professionals. Mr. Olson maintains a current, working knowledge of the latest edition of National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 921, Guide for Fire and Explosion Investigations. Additionally, he has satisfied the educational requirements for all 16 job performance requirements as set forth by the 2014 edition of NFPA 1033, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Investigator.
Education and Certifications
• Applied Science, Criminal Justice, A.A.: Temple College
• Certified Fire Investigator with Motor Vehicle Fire Endorsement: International Association of Arson Investigators (#03-030629)
• Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator): National Association of Fire Investigators (#11853-6580)
• Certified Vehicle Fire Investigator: National Association of Fire Investigators (#11853-6580v)
• Master Peace Officer: Texas
• Master Firefighter: Texas
• Master Fire Investigator: Texas
• Master Fire Inspector: Texas
• National and Texas Paramedic Certificates
• Law Enforcement Instructor: Texas