Paul A. Doughty
Fire Consultant / Esq., CFI / Boston
Mr. Doughty obtained his Juris Doctor from Roger Williams University School of Law and his B.S., Magna Cum Laude, in Fire Science from Providence College. Additionally, he is a graduate from the Providence Fire Department Fire Academy and the Providence Police Department Police Academy.
Mr. Doughty’s professional career includes 30+ years with the Fire Department in the City of Providence, Rhode Island. During those years, his career progressed from firefighter to liaison officer to arson task force member to managing the activities and staff within the Arson Squad/Fire Investigation Division.
As the lead for the Arson Squad, his responsibilities included supervising investigative staff, managing fire and criminal investigations, conducting cause & origin investigations for commercial and residential fires. In addition, as a law enforcement officer, he executed arrest and search warrants for criminal offenses and assisted in the prosecution of those cases.
Mr. Doughty has testified in criminal and civil cases in federal and state courts. His law degree and legal practice experience compliment his investigative, expert witness and educator skills and capabilities.
Mr. Doughty is the recipient of awards that include Eta Lambda National Honor Society from Providence College, DAC Anthony V. Sauro Award, Heroic Action 2nd Class, Heroic Action 3rd Class, Meritorious Actions 1st Class, Unit Citations and the American Legion Medal of Valor from the Providence Fire Department and the Mayor’s Award from the Providence Police Department.
Education and Certifications
• Law, J.D.: Roger Williams University School of Law
• Fire Science, B.S.: Providence College
• Certified Fire and Explosives Investigator: National Association of Fire Investigators
• Certified Fire Investigator: International Association of Arson Investigators
• NFPA 1033 - Fire Investigator, Pro Board Certified
• Fire Investigator Technician: International Association of Arson Investigators
• Rhode Island Assistant Deputy State Fire Marshal
• Certified Fire Inspector I: NFPA 1031 Pro Board Certified
• Hazardous Materials Technician: OSHA 1910.120
• Fire Service Instructor Level 1: NFPA 1041
• Level 1 and 2 Fire Fighter: NFPA 1001
• Memberships: International Association of Arson Investigators; National Association of Fire Investigators; Rhode Island Criminalist Association; Rhode Island Association of Arson Investigators; National Fire Protection Association; International Association of Fire Fighters