Richard A. McGuinness
Senior Consultant / P.E. / Columbus
Along with a B.S. in Civil Engineering and an M.B.A in Business Management, Mr. McGuinness is a registered professional engineer in Ohio. For the past 48 years, he has been a practicing traffic engineer and holds a number of certifications in related areas including night visibility, traffic operations engineering, railroad preemption traffic signal training, transportation safety planning, road safety audits and human factors.
He has hands on experience in the design, application, and maintenance of traffic control, for both permanent street and highway applications and work zones. His expertise has been further developed in the area of human factors, driver behavior and liability issues from the detailed analysis of traffic crashes on a part time basis over the past 35 plus years, and especially from the encouragement from the late Dr. Bernard Abrams, founder of the Institute of Vehicular Safety. He is currently sharing this knowledge by teaching a general traffic engineering course at Columbus State Community College.
Education and Certifications
- Civil Engineering, B.S.: Ohio State University
- Business Management, M.B.A.: Ohio State University
- Registered Professional Engineer: Ohio
- Northwestern Traffic Institute Certificate
- Night Visibility Certificate: Institute of Police Technology and Management
- Human Factors Engineering Certificate: University of Michigan
- Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE): Institute of Traffic Engineers
- Railroad Preemption Traffic Signal Training Certificate: Ohio Rail Development & ODOT
- Transportation Safety Planning Certificate: National Highway Institute
- Road Safety Audits/Assessments Certificate: National Highway Institute