Ross E. Ott
Senior Consultant / IAAI-CFI, NAFI-CFEI, P.E. / Corpus Christi / McAllen
Mr. Ott holds a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering and is a registered professional engineer in Texas, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Louisiana, Kentucky, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Tennessee. He is also a Certified Fire Investigator with Vehicle Fire Endorsement and Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator with more than 12 years of forensic engineering and fire investigation experience.
Since 2009, he has conducted or participated in more than 1,000 forensic investigations, including fire origin and cause, and forensic electrical and mechanical inspections for the purpose of analyzing potential fire-causing failures. He has testified in trials and depositions and provided expert opinions, adhering to the current guidelines set forth in National Fire Protection Association 921, Guide for Fire and Explosion Investigations.
Mr. Ott’s areas of expertise include investigating residential and commercial building fires, natural gas and propane explosions, chimney and solid-fuel burning appliance fire investigations (including wood-burning stoves, fireplaces, and pellet stoves), vehicle fires, appliance fire investigation and failure analysis (including gas and electric residential clothes dryers, ranges, dehumidifiers, etc.), laboratory testing and examination, temperature studies, evidence collection, mechanical systems, vehicles, and residential electrical systems.
Education and Certifications
• Mechanical Engineering, B.S.: Western Michigan University
• Registered Professional Engineer: Texas (#130337), Michigan (#6201061039), Indiana (#PE11500527), Illinois (#062.070229), Louisiana (#44968), Kentucky (#33474), and Arkansas (#20381)
• Certified Fire Investigator: International Association of Arson Investigators (#05-012964)
• Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator: National Association of Fire Investigators (#15394-8486)
• Certified Chimney Sweep: Chimney Safety Institute of America (#7709)