Sandra A. James-Yi
Principal Consultant / DVM, PhD, DABT, DABVT / Richmond
Dr. James-Yi holds Doctorates in Veterinary Medicine and Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences. In addition, she has acquired Diplomate certification from both the American Board of Toxicology and the American Board of Veterinary Toxicology. She is a multidisciplinary toxicologist with over 30 years of experience in private practice, academia, and industry.
Areas of specialty include veterinary medicine and surgery; veterinary clinical diagnostic medicine and toxicology; translational, nutritional and environmental toxicology; personal care product safety; risk assessment; and medical entomology and acarology.
Dr. James-Yi has experience in a diverse array of subjects such as dietary supplements, ingredient and formula risk assessment, plant toxicology, essential oils, integrated pest management, pesticides and herbicide toxicology, mycotoxins, quaternary ammonium compounds, heavy metals, plasticizers, smokeless tobacco products, personal care products, toxicologic pathology, and environmental chemical, microbial, and zoonotic disease exposure.
In industry, she has functioned as the Technical, Nutritional Product Safety Lead for Medical Affairs, Product Integrity, Quality Assurance/Quality Control, Nutritional Research and Development, Global ingredient supply-chain acquisition, Legal Affairs, Emerging issues and Post-Marketing Surveillance teams.
Education and Certifications
• Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences, PhD: University of Illinois, Urbana – Champaign
• Thesis title: Systematics, Ecology and Distribution of Water Mites (Acari: Parasitengonina): The Application of water mite fauna as indicators of pollution, biodiversity and sustainability in freshwater ecosystems
• Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, D.V.M.: College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana – Champaign
• Biochemistry, B.S.: University of Illinois, Urbana - Champaign
• Postdoctoral Associate, Pathology: Masonic Cancer Center, Comparative Pathology Shared Resource Laboratory, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis – St. Paul
• Postdoctoral Associate, Toxicology residency/Study Director Training: Covance Laboratories, Madison, Wisconsin and the University of Illinois, Urbana – Champaign
• Postdoctoral Associate, Residency Training, Anatomic Pathology: University of Illinois, Urbana – Champaign
• Diplomate of the American Board of Toxicology, Inc® (DABT) since 2014
• Diplomate of the American Board of Veterinary Toxicology (DABVT) since 2015
• Veterinary Medical Licensure - Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota