Sandra A. James-Yi
Principal Consultant / DVM, PhD, DABT, DABVT / Richmond
Dr. Sandra James-Yi is a Toxicologist with more than 30 years of experience in private practice, academia, and industry. She holds two doctorates: a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.) and a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in natural resources and environmental sciences. She is a diplomate of both the American Board of Toxicology and the American Board of Veterinary Toxicology and a full member of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Society of Toxicology, and American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians.
Her toxicological expertise spans human and animal exposure and the adverse effects related to toxic plants, pesticides, endocrine disruptors, mycotoxins, quaternary ammonium compounds, heavy metals, smokeless tobacco products, personal care products, and environmental chemical, microbial, entomological, and zoonotic disease exposure.
She has extensive experience in clinical veterinary medicine and surgery, veterinary medical toxicology, human and animal nutritional product safety, personal care product safety, and environmental toxicology.
In academia, Dr. James-Yi has held academic faculty positions developing the toxicology curricula for professional and graduate students and has been involved in collaborative research as well as public health and extension services.
In industry, she has extensive experience in global nutritional and personal care product safety, especially in the area of emerging markets for nutritional supplements. Her work has been primarily directed at identifying vulnerable populations, with a special focus on pediatric nutrition. She has functioned as the Technical, Nutritional Product Safety Lead for internal stakeholders in medical affairs, product integrity, quality assurance/quality control, nutritional research and development, global ingredient supply-chain acquisition, legal affairs, emerging issues, and post-marketing surveillance teams.
Education and Certifications
• Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences, PhD: University of Illinois, Urbana – Champaign
• Thesis title: Systematics, Ecology and Distribution of Water Mites (Acari: Parasitengonina): The Application of water mite fauna as indicators of pollution, biodiversity and sustainability in freshwater ecosystems
• Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, D.V.M.: College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana – Champaign
• Biochemistry, B.S.: University of Illinois, Urbana - Champaign
• Postdoctoral Associate, Pathology: Masonic Cancer Center, Comparative Pathology Shared Resource Laboratory, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis – St. Paul
• Postdoctoral Associate, Toxicology residency/Study Director Training: Covance Laboratories, Madison, Wisconsin and the University of Illinois, Urbana – Champaign
• Postdoctoral Associate, Residency Training, Anatomic Pathology: University of Illinois, Urbana – Champaign
• Diplomate of the American Board of Toxicology, Inc® (DABT) since 2014
• Diplomate of the American Board of Veterinary Toxicology (DABVT) since 2015
• Veterinary Medical Licensure - Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota