Scott M. Howell
Principal Consultant / CFEI, CFI, PE / Chicago
Mr. Howell has an extensive professional background in the areas of firefighting, fire investigation and gas and propane fired appliance failure evaluation. His professional experience includes fire and explosion investigation, electric fire ignition experimentation, product testing for ignition hazards, fuel gas leaks and ignitions, full scale fire testing of ignition scenarios, fire protection and detections system performance analysis, as well as commercial kitchen hood and duct evaluations. Mr. Howell also has extensive testifying experience.
Mr. Howell has conducted over 100 room size fires as training aides for firefighters and fire investigators using authentic room furnishings. Many ignition scenarios were utilized from flammable liquids to small explosive devices on ordinary combustibles. As a member of the Federal Emergency Management Agency's Major Fire Investigation Team, he has investigated major fires throughout the country publishing reports for use by fire departments nationally.
- Fire origin and cause investigations in all property types from single family residential to complex commercial and industrial losses. Experience in leading multi-disciplinary investigative team in complex investigations.
- Fire protection system evaluations including fire sprinkler operation, restaurant hood and duct system operation and effectiveness
- Propane and natural gas fire and explosion events including $70 million explosion from underground liquid propane line, many single family house explosions.
- Propane and natural gas equipment evaluation including investigation that led to the recall of commercial equipment pilot safety valve.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering- Illinois Institute of Technology
- A.A.S. Fire Science- College of DuPage