Steven C. Lawrence
Fire Consultant / NAFI-CFEI, IAAI-FIT, IAAI-ECT / Tampa
Mr. Lawrence is a Certified Fire Investigator (IAAI-FIT) with the International Association of Arson Investigators and Certified Fire and Explosive Investigator (CFEI) with the National Association of Fire Investigators. He obtained his AS in Fire Science (Fire Investigator I) from St. Petersburg College and is a Certified Firefighter, Fire Safety Inspector, Fire Service Instructor, and Florida Private Investigator among other fire-related certifications. He was a “Live Fire” training instructor and taught courses in fire behavior and fire suppression activities, along with structural firefighting, vehicle firefighting, flammable liquids mitigation, and suppression, in addition, he taught veteran firefighters and recruits about the inherent dangers of rollover and flashover recognition and how to survive a potential flashover, as well as building construction and many other firefighter courses.
Mr. Lawrence served the City of St. Petersburg for 30 years as a Firefighter, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Training Officer, Fire Instructor, Deputy Fire Marshal, Fire Inspector, Fire Investigator, and Public Information Officer. As a member of the Fire Investigation Unit, he has extensive experience in conducting origin and cause fire investigations and he has investigated over 290 fires in both commercial and residential structures and vehicles, 86 of which were determined to be incendiary. He has joined forces with multiple agencies including the State Fire Marshal; Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF); and local police. He has attended numerous educational seminars and completed several continuing education courses in the field of fire investigation, and he has attended the National Fire Academy (NFA) on several occasions.
Mr. Lawrence is a member of an Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) Team Florida Task Force 3 and has widespread knowledge and training in structural collapse, confined space rescue, high angle rescue, and trench rescue. He has deployed to several disasters which were declared state of emergencies in the state of Florida.
Education and Certifications
• National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI): Certified Fire and Explosive Investigator
• International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI): Fire Investigator Technician (FIT)
• International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI): Evidence Collection Technician (ECT)
• Pinellas Technical Education Center: Certificate of Compliance (Tested)
• St Petersburg College: Emergency Medical Technician (Tested)
• Bureau of Fire Standards and Training: Fire Officer One (Tested)
• Bureau of Fire Standards and Training: Fire Safety Inspector (Tested)
• Bureau of Fire Standards and Training: Fire Service Instructor (Tested)