Thomas (TJ) Cate
National Construction and Industrial Division Manager / P.E., S.E. / Salt Lake City
Mr. Cate studied Engineering (both Mechanical and Civil) with co-emphasis in Managerial Economics at Utah State University, then completed studies and obtained a B.S. degree in Civil Engineering with a structural engineering emphasis from the University of Utah. Mr. Cate is a licensed civil engineer in 19 states, a licensed structural engineer in Utah, Nevada, Louisiana and Texas, and a licensed general contractor and swimming pool contractor.
Mr. Cate has extensive structural engineering experience including design and detailing of conventional wood framing, steel, concrete (including post-tensioned), and masonry. Mr. Cate has also employed his expertise on unique and specialty structures including ice-climbing training towers, underground tanks, aluminum canopies, and RF transparent panels and enclosures. As a general contractor, Mr. Cate has experience in the planning, design, and construction of diverse projects including single- and multi-family residential, hotels, waterparks, and resorts. He is skilled in construction safety, quality control, scheduling, cost estimating, and budget tracking and management.
Mr. Cate has conducted forensic investigation and analysis of various building systems and materials. He has extensive experience with structural failures including primary building framing, foundations, retaining walls, scaffolding, cranes, and construction equipment. Mr. Cate has evaluated many claims of construction defects, design errors and omissions, construction vibration damage, and delays. Mr. Cate also uses his training, experience, and expertise to investigate construction accidents involving equipment, falls, and other types of construction safety. Mr. Cate is certified as a mobile crane, tower crane, and rigging inspector, and uses that expertise to provide consultation, analysis, and investigation of crane operations and accidents.
Mr. Cate supplements his engineering and construction experience with his background and passion for aquatics. Public entities including health departments and building departments regularly rely on Mr. Cate for consulting and peer review services for swimming pools and water parks. He has provided consultation and expert services on many waterpark and swimming pool incidents including design and construction defects, accidents, injuries, drownings, and water quality failures
Education and Certifications
• Civil Engineering, B.S.: University of Utah
• Professional Engineer (Civil): Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming
• Professional Engineer (Structural): Utah, Nevada, Louisiana, Texas
• Licensed Contractor: Utah (B100 General and S380 Swimming Pool)
• Certified Mobile, Overhead, and Tower Crane Inspector, Certified Rigging Inspector: CICB & CIC
• Certified Rescue Diver: Professional Association of Dive Instructors
• Certified Aquatic Facility Operator Instructor: National Recreation and Parks Association