Thomas (TJ) Cate
National Construction and Industrial Division Manager / P.E., S.E. / Salt Lake City
Along with a B.S. degree in Civil Engineering with a structural engineering emphasis, Mr. Cate is a licensed civil engineer in 19 states, a licensed structural engineer in Utah, Nevada, Louisiana and Texas, and a licensed general contractor and swimming pool contractor. He has designed, engineered, and constructed a wide and diverse range of projects including single-family residential, commercial, institutional, recreational and industrial projects.
Mr. Cate has particular skill, and is a leading expert in aquatics, swimming pools, and water parks. Public entities including health departments and building departments regularly rely on Mr. Cate for consulting and peer review services for swimming pools and water parks. He has provided consultation and expert services on many waterpark and swimming pool incidents including design and construction defects, accidents, injuries, drownings, and water quality failures. As an active member of the World Water Park Association, the Association of Pool and Spa Professionals, and the National Recreation and Parks Association, Mr. Cate is well versed in industry standards, current trends, and the newest technology.
He is also a nationally certified as an Aquatic Facility Operator and one of the select group of Aquatic Facility Operator Instructors, with the qualifications to teach and certify other individuals in aquatic facility operation. Mr. Cate has published articles, and routinely provides classroom instruction regarding swimming pool and water attraction design, construction, and operation.
Mr. Cate conducts forensic investigations including structural failures, catastrophic building damage, water intrusion, and construction defects. He also provides consultation, investigation, and analysis regarding construction site operations and accidents. Mr. Cate is certified as a mobile crane, tower crane, and rigging inspector, and uses that expertise to provide consultation, analysis, and investigation of crane operations and accidents.
Education and Certifications
• Civil Engineering, B.S.: University of Utah
• Professional Engineer (Civil): Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming
• Professional Engineer (Structural): Utah, Nevada, Louisiana, Texas
• Licensed Contractor: Utah (B100 General and S380 Swimming Pool)
• Certified Mobile, Overhead, and Tower Crane Inspector, Certified Rigging Inspector: CICB & CIC
• Certified Rescue Diver: Professional Association of Dive Instructors
• Certified Aquatic Facility Operator Instructor: National Recreation and Parks Association