Thomas (TJ) Cate
Director, Construction and Industrial Practice / P.E., S.E. / Salt Lake City
Mr. Cate studied Engineering (both Mechanical and Civil) with co-emphasis in Managerial Economics at Utah State University, then completed studies and obtained a B.S. degree in Civil Engineering with a structural engineering emphasis from the University of Utah. Mr. Cate is a licensed civil engineer in 19 states, a licensed structural engineer in Utah, Nevada, Louisiana, and Texas, and a licensed general contractor and swimming pool contractor.
Mr. Cate has a particular skill and is a leading expert in aquatics, swimming pools, and water parks. Public entities including health departments and building departments regularly rely on Mr. Cate for consulting and peer review services for swimming pools and water parks. He has designed and constructed swimming pools, waterslides, and water attractions. He consults with operators regarding lifeguard plans, risk management, and waterpark operations. As an active member of the World Water Park Association, the Association of Pool and Spa Professionals, and the National Recreation and Parks Association, Mr. Cate is well versed in industry standards, current trends, and the newest technology.
He is also a nationally certified as an Aquatic Facility Operator and one of the select group of Aquatic Facility Operator Instructors, with the qualifications to teach and certify other individuals in aquatic facility operation. Mr. Cate has published articles and routinely provides classroom instruction regarding swimming pool and water attraction design, construction, and operation.
As part of his aquatics practice, Mr. Cate conducts forensic investigations including construction defects at water attractions, accidents, injuries, drownings, water quality and treatment, and equipment failures.
Education and Certifications
• Civil Engineering, B.S.: University of Utah
• Professional Engineer (Civil): Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming
• Professional Engineer (Structural): Utah, Nevada, Louisiana, Texas
• Licensed Contractor: Utah (B100 General and S380 Swimming Pool)
• Certified Mobile, Overhead, and Tower Crane Inspector, Certified Rigging Inspector: CICB & CIC
• Certified Rescue Diver: Professional Association of Dive Instructors
• Certified Aquatic Facility Operator Instructor: National Recreation and Parks Association