Timothy E. Dowd
Senior Consultant / ACTAR / Boston
Mr. Dowd holds a B.S. in Criminal Justice from Northeastern University. He retired from the Massachusetts State Police after 25 years of service, holding the rank of Lieutenant. He was assigned to the Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Section for 18 years. As a Lieutenant, he was the Section Commander of the Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Section with 4 sergeants and 19 troopers reporting to him.
Mr. Dowd has reconstructed over 500 serious injury and fatal motor vehicle crashes involving passenger vehicles, commercial motor vehicles, pedestrians, bicycles, and motorcycles. He has testified numerous times as an expert witness in Massachusetts District and Superior Courts, as well as United States District Court. He is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR) and held the position of Board Member on the ACTAR Governing Board of Directors. He represented the Massachusetts State Police on the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Traffic Incident Management (TIM) Task Force.
Mr. Dowd’s area of expertise includes motor vehicle crash reconstruction, motorcycle crash reconstruction, pedestrian/bicycle versus vehicle crash reconstruction, commercial vehicle crash reconstruction, event data recorder analysis for passenger vehicles, and rollover crash reconstruction. Mr. Dowd has extensive training in crash and crime scene forensic mapping using a total station and GPS GNSS equipment. He has extensive knowledge of AutoCAD-based diagramming software and is a certified trainer for Leica/IMS MAP360 software.
Mr. Dowd is a certified Crash Data Retrieval Technician and Analyst since 2002. He is a Crash Data Retrieval Technician Trainer.
Mr. Dowd is a certified FAA drone pilot. He is proficient in utilizing drone technology to map collision and crash scenes and creating scaled demonstratives with Pix4D software and also has experience with Photomodeler photogrammetry software.
Education and Certifications
• Criminal Justice, B.S.: Northeastern University
• Accredited Traffic Accident Reconstructionist: Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR #1486)
• Governing Board of Directors: Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction
• Application Review Committee: Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction
• Massachusetts Traffic Incident Management Task Force Member
• Board of Directors: New England Association of Insurance Fraud Investigators
• Certified Trainer: Leica IMS Map360 Fundamentals and Point Cloud Software
• Certified Trainer: Bosch Crash Data Retrieval Technician 1 & 2
• Certified Level 2 Instructor: Traffic Crash Investigation and Reconstruction, Massachusetts MCJTC
• Remote Pilot Airman Certificate, sUAS Rating (3939797)
• Northeastern University Sigma Epsilon Rho Honors Society