Pipeline Failure Analysis
May 19, 2022
A major company’s pipelines allegedly experienced 194 spills of crude oil and petroleum products. A federal regulatory agency said that the company’s pipeline spills entered United States waters in violation of the Clean Water Act.
Rimkus was retained to perform a complete review of the alleged pipeline failures and determine if the company was in compliance with regulations, industry standards, and remediation requirements. Services included the following.
- Conducted on-site inspections at selected spill sites.
- Reviewed pipeline regulations and industry standards for managing hazardous liquid and pipeline corrosion.
- Assessed maintenance procedures and pipeline repair practices for protecting U.S. waters.
- Evaluated corrosion prevention program for cathodic protection and pipeline re-coating for protecting U.S. waters.
- Assessed damage prevention program for pipeline right-a-way areas for protecting U.S. waters.
- Reviewed environmental remediation recommendations.
- Reviewed depositions and related legal documents.
- Provided expert testimony.