Mr. Brendan McLaughlin holds a B.E. (Bachelor of Engineering) in Mechanical Engineering and is a licensed Professional Engineer in multiple states. He is also an Accredited Accident Reconstructionist through the Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR #3845) and Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator through National Association of Fire Investigators (26872-15215). Mr. McLaughlin has over 7 years of experience in the forensic engineering field.
Mr. McLaughlin has had extensive training, education, and experience in the forensic engineering field. He has inspected boilers, furnaces, refractory lining, pumps, hot water heaters, HVAC systems, and piping system failures. Mr. McLaughlin’s areas of expertise include motor vehicle crash reconstruction, motorcycle crash reconstruction, pedestrian/bicycle versus vehicle crash reconstruction, commercial vehicle crash reconstruction, commercial vehicle brake examination, event data recorder (EDR) analysis for passenger vehicles and heavy trucks, seatbelt analysis, crash simulation software, and rollover crash reconstruction. He has extensive training and experience in crash scene mapping using drones, 3D laser scanners, and hand measurements.
Mr. McLaughlin’s experience with forensic engineering began in 2015 as an engineering intern at the Jacksonville Electric Authority. He conducted root cause analysis of the Spray Dry Absorber (SDA) nozzles. He inspected combine combustion turbine blades with a borescope and performed pump performance testing on the boiler feed and condensate pumps. His forensic engineering experience continued at the Vanderbilt University Material Science Lab where he conducted catastrophic engine failure analysis. He worked under the supervision of Professor James Wittig.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS:
• Mechanical Engineer, B.E.: Vanderbilt University
• Accredited Accident Reconstructionist: Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR #3845)
• Bosch Certified Crash Data Retrieval Technician
• Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator: #26872-15215
• Registered Professional Engineer: Connecticut #PEN.0035646; Kentucky #35867; Maine #PE17286; Massachusetts #56921; New Hampshire #17037; New York ##105714-01; Rhode Island #14201; Tennessee #124275; and Vermont #018.0135148
• FAA Certified Remote Pilot: #3924368
• Memberships: National Association of Professional Accident Reconstruction Specialist; Society of Automotive Engineers