Gary D. Osterholt
Principal Consultant / P.E., ACTAR / Columbus
Mr. Osterholt holds a B.S. and M.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering. He is a registered professional engineer in Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. He is also an accredited Traffic Accident Reconstructionist by the Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR).
He has extensive education, training, and experience in vehicular accident reconstruction, mechanical engineering, vehicle dynamics, occupant kinematics, failure analysis, and products analysis. In addition, his areas of expertise include automobile racing and small recreational vehicles such as ATVs and go-karts. He has investigated failures and accidents resulting from failures in a wide range of mechanical systems, such as vehicles (including engines, transmissions, tires, suspensions, brakes, seat belts, and airbags); plumbing (including pipe freezes); heating, ventilation, and air conditioning; fire sprinkler systems; consumer products; appliances; door systems; ladders; and industrial equipment.
He has completed vehicular accident reconstruction analyses for all types of vehicles, including passenger vehicles and commercial tractors/trailers. He has also analyzed pedestrian accidents and bicycle and motorcycle collisions. Mr. Osterholt has utilized advanced computer software to develop simulations of vehicular collisions. He has performed photographic and photogrammetric analyses of vehicle deformation, scene evidence, and products. He is trained and certified to download and analyze Event Data Recorder (“black box”) information from passenger and commercial vehicles related to accident reconstruction.
Education and Certifications
• Mechanical Engineering, B.S.: Florida State University
• Mechanical Engineering, M.S.: Florida State University
• Licensed Professional Engineer: Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Wisconsin
• Accredited Accident Reconstructionist: Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR #2067)
• NCEES Council Record: #54892
• SAE Technical Reviewer
• Federal Aviation Administration Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Remote Pilot: Certificate #4081123