James J. Smith
Fire Consultant / Baltimore
Mr. Smith is a 30-year veteran with the Baltimore City Fire Department and is currently assigned to the Office of the Fire Marshal in the Fire Investigation Bureau. He has over 25 years of experience in fire investigation.
His fire investigation experience ranges from origin and cause investigations, interviews with witness/suspects, and creation of fire investigation reports. He also interacts with the Baltimore City Police Arson Division, Crime Laboratory, and the Alcohol, Tobacco, and Fire Arms (ATF) agents. He has qualified as a special agent for the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office. He works with the States Attorney office and testifies in court.
Education and Certifications
• Baltimore City Fire Department
• In-service training at the Baltimore City Fire Investigation Bureau
• Public Agency Training Council Introduction to Fire Origin and Cause
• Public Agency Advanced Fire Investigation and Expert Witness
• Fire/Arson Investigation R205 National Fire Academy
• Fire Investigation: Interview and Testimony R208 National Fire Academy
• Public Agency Training Council Arson/Fire Investigation and Arson Case Management
• Maryland and District of Columbia Arson Investigations and Car Fires
• ATF Baltimore City Fire Investigators Seminar
• Public Agency Training Council Investigating Car Fires