Mr. Koji Hirota is a licensed architect in 18 states and Washington, D.C. He is a member of the American Institute of Architects, an accredited LEED AP professional, a Certified XL Tribometrist, an FAA Registered Drone Pilot, and a Registered Energy Professional.
Mr. Hirota has over 30 years of experience in the design, documentation, and construction of commercial, residential, and institutional structures. He has extensive experience leading teams from the initial proposal, property condition assessments, design process, building code and ADA evaluations, documentation, and specifications through construction, contract administration, and project closeout. He has directed and executed design concepts through creative, buildable, and coordinated detailing and leveraged his building construction experience into clear solutions for building owners, insurance companies, and attorneys. He has guided architectural teams and supported consultants in the schedule, design, documentation, and contract administration of both public and private sector projects. Mr. Hirota served as the primary lead during construction, working with the client, general contractor, and project team solving issues as they occurred in the field.
Project experience includes planning, renovations, and new construction of religious institutions, schools, daycare facilities, retail facilities, multi-family residence facilities, gymnasiums, commercial kitchens, network operations centers, hotels, interior office fit-outs, student centers, and historic renovations.
As a forensic investigator, he inspects and analyzes building envelope failures in commercial, industrial, and residential properties. Assignments included construction defects, roofing evaluations, building envelope failures and deficiencies, storm damage, deficiencies related to building code compliance, ADA, contract evaluations; slip, trip, and fall evaluations; property damage; and architectural standard of care. He has given testimony as an expert witness both nationally and internationally.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS:
• Architecture, B.A.: Virginia Polytechnic and State University (Virginia Tech)
• Licensed Architect: Arkansas, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
• LEED® Accredited Professional (LEED AP): U.S. Green Building Council (#GBCI 0010019840)
• Certified XL Tribometrist (CXLT): Excel Tribometers LLC (#1801710)
• Registered Energy Professional (REP): City of Chicago
• Licensed 14CFR part 107 Drone Pilot (UAG): Federal Aviation Administration (#4070307)
• Suspended Scaffold: Competent Person Certification: OSHA (#80541)
• Bureau of Capital Outlay Management Certification (BCOM): Virginia
• Revit Level 1: Architecture Certification
• Thermal/Infrared Thermography Level 1: Building Specific Certification
• White Water Kayaking Instructor Level 4: American Canoe Association
• CPR Pro Certification, Wilderness First Aid, Swift Water Rescue, Vertical Rope Rescue, Cave Rescue