Mr. Michael Roberts is a Certified Fire Investigator, Certified Fire Inspector-II, Certified Fire Plans Examiner, Bosch Crash Data Retrieval (CDR) Technician, and Licensed Drone Pilot. He has received his Pro Board certification as a Fire Investigator through the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications. Mr. Roberts frequently instructs on fire origin and cause, fire protection systems, fire inspections, and fire behavior classes for Michigan fire departments.
Mr. Roberts started his public safety career as a paramedic/firefighter in 1998 before joining the Delta Township Fire Department in 2002. He was promoted to the position of Engineer and then to Fire Inspector where he performed fire origin and cause investigations, interviewed suspects and witnesses, and processed evidence. He also conducted building fire safety inspections, presented on various topics relating to public fire education, led live fire demonstrations, and created the area’s first comprehensive Youth Fire Prevention and Intervention Program.
As a lead fire investigator, Mr. Roberts’ forensic experience encompasses investigating more than 300 fires involving fire origin and causation in residential, commercial, and industrial structures as well as vehicles and wildlands. His areas of expertise include management of fire scene cause and origin analysis, evidence and data collection, investigative interviews, scene photography, and live fire testing scenarios. Mr. Roberts has provided expert witness testimony.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS:
• Bosch CDR Technician: Institute of Police Technology and Management (2023)
• Remote (Drone) Pilot Certification: FAA (2021)
• Certified Fire Investigator: International Association of Arson Investigators (2019)
• Fire Science EMT-B, A.A.S.: Lansing Community College (2015)
• Certified Fire Instructor 1: State of Michigan Firefighter Training Council (2016)
• Certified Fire Protection Specialist: National Fire Protection Association (2015)
• Certified Fire Inspector II: National Fire Protection Association (2014)
• Certified Fire Plans Examiner: National Fire Protection Association (2013)
• Hazardous Materials Technician-Advanced: Michigan State Police (2004)
• Certified Fire Fighter II: State of Michigan Firefighter Training Council (2000)
• Licensed Paramedic: Michigan (1998)