A 1999 graduate of the University of Toronto’s Mechanical Engineering program, Mr. Nelson Tong is a registered professional engineer and a Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI) with over 20 years of professional experience. His diverse industry knowledge covers many areas, including cause investigation, field/site work, evidence handling, code/standards/practice/contract review, inspection, engineering and engineering management, procurement, project management, mechanical-structural design and evaluation, technical writing/communication, scheduling, cost estimating and budget control, implementing quality and control procedures, training/mentoring, and policy/workflow development.
Mr. Tong specializes in investigating losses involving fires or explosions, building envelope issues causing moisture or mold, and water escapes or floods. He excels at evaluating failures/incidents related to mechanical engineering design or technical systems/components. His knowledge extends to the inspection, design, or repair of welded structural subsystems and components of heavy-lift and construction equipment (cranes, forklifts, manlifts, scissor lifts, and other lifting devices), but also includes the planning of critical lifts and operations involving such equipment.
His responsibilities as a forensic consultant include conducting investigations to determine the cause of losses involving fires/explosions or engineering/technically related failures/incidents and evaluating the roles and responsibilities of involved parties/stakeholders. Mr. Tong has assessed the designs and conducted non-destructive inspections of welded-steel structural-mechanical components and subsystems as well as managed, executed, and conducted in-situ site and/or equipment assessments and inspections, and also repair or design/fabrication projects. He is experienced at managing, handling, and examining mission-critical evidence.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS:
• Mechanical Engineering, B.A.Sc.: University of Toronto (1999)
• Licensed Professional Engineer: Ontario, Canada
• Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (CFEI): National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI)
• Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) Level 1 Ultrasonic Non-Destructive Testing Method Certification Course: Canadian Institute for Non-Destructive Evaluation (CINDE)
• CGSB Magnetic Particle Level 2 Certification: Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) National Non-Destructive Testing Certification Body (NDTCB) – Currently Dormant
• CGSB Level 2 Magnetic Particle Non-Destructive Testing Method Certification Course: Canadian Institute for Non-Destructive Evaluation (CINDE)