Mr. Peter Townsend holds a B.S. in Civil Engineering Technology and is a registered professional engineer in multiple states. Mr. Townsend’s professional experience includes the design of multi-story hotels, dormitories, shopping malls, apartment buildings, commercial and retail buildings, industrial warehouses, shipping facilities, government buildings, and residential buildings. In this capacity, Mr. Townsend has worked closely with architects, contractors, and building officials to verify that completed projects met the design and governing building code requirements.
From early in his engineering career, Mr. Townsend was involved in the design of floors, elevated walkways, sidewalks, stairs, and industrial walkways that required slip-resistant surfaces. Since 2005, he has conducted multiple investigations of walkway accidents occurring at hotels, parking structures, restaurants, grocery stores, commercial buildings, and personal residences. In the course of his work, he has developed a thorough working knowledge of current walkway safety standards, protocols, building codes, and Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) design guidelines. Mr. Townsend is an expert in the field of walkway slip resistance and is a certified Tribometrist and Walkway Auditor.
Mr. Townsend also has significant experience investigating structural damage to buildings from varying causes including fires, construction vibrations, explosions, tree impacts, and vehicle impacts, provided expert guidance about the extent of damage caused by these incidents, and provided temporary or permanent repair recommendations. He has provided guidance in regard to the condition of multi-residential properties (property condition assessments) and has also served as the lead consultant in construction defect investigations involving moisture intrusion through brick veneer, stucco, EIFS, windows and doors, and multiple types of roofing systems. Mr. Townsend is an expert in the evaluation of hail and wind damage to roofing systems, having performed hundreds of inspections of individual residential and commercial roofs for storm damage.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS:
• Civil Engineering Technology, B.S.: University of Southern Indiana (1991) (Honors List 1990 and 1991)
• Recipient of the Indiana State Award for Excellence in Civil Engineering: ASCE (1991)
• Registered Professional Engineer: Georgia (#029477), Alabama (#27383), North Carolina (#031103), Indiana (#19900136–lapsed), Iowa (#16373-lapsed), Nebraska (#E-10457-lapsed), and NCEES Record Holder (#20985)
• Registered Structural Engineer: Georgia (#029477)
• Certified English XL Tribometrist (CXLT): Excel Tribometers, LLC
• Certified Walkway Auditor: University of North Texas Department of Engineering Technology