Peter D. Friedman
Principal Consultant / Ph.D., P.E. / Richmond
Dr. Friedman earned a B.S., M.S. and a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering.
He served as a nuclear submarine naval officer where he coordinated the operations and maintenance of highly complex nuclear power plants and associated systems. During his naval career, Dr. Friedman returned to Georgia Institute of Technology as an ROTC Instructor where he simultaneously earned his Master’s Degree. In his final Naval duty station, he served as a mechanical engineering professor at the U.S. Naval Academy and completed his Ph.D. at The Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Friedman continued his career as a Mechanical Engineering professor, university department chair and senior engineer at Newport News Shipbuilding developing advanced submarine propulsion systems.
Dr. Friedman has over 36 years of experience with a blend of operational, research, academic, hands-on and industrial responsibilities. His areas of expertise include heat transfer, fluid flow, power plant operations and maintenance, maritime operations (including shipyards), economic evaluation, quality assurance, nuclear energy, industrial safety, maintenance, failure analysis and worker training. As an experienced university engineering professor, Dr. Friedman can explain complex and highly technical subjects in an easy to understand manner to both technical and non-technical audiences.
In addition to his professional experience, Dr. Friedman is a skilled mechanic, machinist and welder. In community service, he has overseen a $70 million municipal budget while serving as the chairman of the Dartmouth Massachusetts Finance Committee.
Education and Certifications
• Mechanical Engineering, Ph.D.: The Johns Hopkins University
• Mechanical Engineering, M.S.: Georgia Institute of Technology
• Mechanical Engineering, B.S.: Georgia Institute of Technology
• U.S. Navy Nuclear Officer Training and Qualification Program
• Registered Professional Engineer: Virginia and Massachusetts
• Memberships: American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Member and Former Congressional Fellow; Veterans of Foreign Wars, Member and Post Quartermaster