Mr. Scott Gartner is a Certified Fire Investigator (IAAI-CFI) with the International Association of Arson Investigators and a Certified Fire Investigator with the National Board of Fire Service Professional Qualifications (ProBoard). He is also a Certified Firefighter, Hazardous Materials Technician, Fire Inspector, Fire Officer, DHS Instructor, Post Blast Investigator, and Certified Paramedic.
Mr. Gartner served as a Fire Investigator/Supervisor with the City of Norfolk, where he investigated and determined the origin and cause of more than 800 fires in commercial and residential structures, vehicles, marine, and heavy equipment. He has completed numerous educational seminars and continuing education courses in the field of fire investigation. Mr. Gartner has testified in court proceedings involving the investigation of fires, explosions, and hazardous materials. He has also served as a Special Deputy U.S. Marshal and Accomack County Deputy Sheriff.
Mr. Gartner has extensive experience in all facets of the fire service, with over 28 years of municipal fire service experience. He retired from municipal service as an Assistant Fire Marshal/Lieutenant after serving as a Hazardous Devices Technician, Fire Investigator, Hazardous Materials Investigator, Explosives Canine Handler, and Firefighter Paramedic. Mr. Gartner has also been trained in hazardous device analysis and mitigation, explosives recognition/disposal, hazardous materials mitigation, and HAZWOPER operations. He also performed municipal fire inspections of residential, commercial, and industrial facilities. He has knowledge of the National Fire Protection Association, International Fire Code, and building blueprint plan review regarding compliance with fire, life safety regulations, and building code compliance. Mr. Gartner has served on numerous local, state, and national committees/taskforces in involving fires, explosives, and hazardous materials.
Mr. Gartner has knowledge of proper installation methods and procedures for residential, institutional, and commercial sprinkler systems, fire alarms, and commercial cooking equipment fire suppression systems. He also has extensive knowledge in prevention and response to bombing events.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS:
• Certified Fire Investigator: Commonwealth of Virginia
• Certified Fire Inspector: Commonwealth of Virginia
• Certified Instructor: Department of Homeland Security
• Certified Paramedic: Commonwealth of Virginia
• Certified Fire Officer: Commonwealth of Virginia
• Certified Environmental Crimes Investigator: Commonwealth of Virginia
• Certified Fire Fighter: Commonwealth of Virginia
• Private Investigators License: Florida
• Private Investigators License: North Carolina
• Hazardous Devices Technician
• Explosives Canine Handler
• Certified Hazardous Material Technician: Department of Homeland Security
• Memberships: Virginia International Association of Arson Investigators; International Association of Arson Investigators; National Association of Fire Investigators; International Association of Bomb Technicians and Investigators; Virginia Fire Prevention Association; Tidewater Regional Arson Panel; Virginia Police Work Dog Association; National Technical Investigators Association