Stephen J. Reed
Senior Consultant / P.E. / Pittsburgh
Mr. Reed earned his Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, and his Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Pittsburgh. He has experience in mechanical, electrical and fluid systems failure and reliability from his work in Probabilistic Risk Assessment. Mr. Reed also has experience in the accident mitigation systems of nuclear power plants, specifically in the cause and likelihood of system component failures.
Mr. Reed has worked in asset protection and physical security design. During this time, he analyzed each system used to mitigate fuel damage in nuclear plants during accident conditions. All systems can fail if a specific combination of components does not operate. Mr. Reed analyzed all systems that could be used to prevent fuel damage, and created the smallest combination of components that, if failed, would cause fuel damage. The combinations are used to design the protective systems and defensive strategies of a nuclear plant. Mr. Reed is proficient in Aircraft Impact Analysis, Target Set creation, regulatory interface, system design and failure, system maintenance, explosive effects on structures, project management, and product marketing.
Mr. Reed’s areas of expertise include component failure analysis, short-term and long-term project management, developing processes to enhance efficiency, software development, performing site walk-downs and inspections for fire, flood, and security systems, determining causes of system failure, and vulnerability analysis for systems, components, and processes.
Representative engagements include:
- Mechanical system failure inspection and diagnosis
- Electrical system failure inspection and diagnosis
- Instrumentation and control system failure inspection and diagnosis
- HVAC system failure inspection and diagnosis
- Human Failure Analysis
- Flood propagation
- Fire propagation
- Aircraft Impact Analysis
- Explosive Blast Effect Analysis
- Critical component identification
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Software Development (VBA)
- AutoDesk Inventor design, Mechanical Desktop drafting
- Project Management
- BS Mechanical Engineering - Virginia Polytechnical Institute and State University
- MS Mechanical Engineering - University of Pittsburgh