Rimkus Built Environment Team Contributes to Award-Winning Toronto Project
October 31, 2023
Rimkus experts were tasked with the structural portion of the project. Our scope
of work included:
- Independent concrete foundations for the stone features
- Concrete footings and concrete grade beams for the wood framing
- Wood deck framing
- Support of other architectural features
The Toronto Urban Design Awards recognize projects that “contribute significantly to the quality and design excellence of [Toronto’s] built environment.”
We’re proud to be a part of this project, which added spaces for reflective pauses in such a vibrant city space. Comments from the jury praised details such as bike rings designed by students and public involvement in the murals.
Jurors also recognized the sustainability of the project, which used repurposed timbers and quarry offcuts to purpose an element otherwise destined for discarding. They commented, “this project was appreciated simply for what it is, and what it is doing for the public realm, but these little details, and some of those thoughtful moments, collectively are what made this project award worthy.”
Rimkus team members involved in this project include:
- Sarah Pelley, C. Tech, Senior CAD Technician
- Graham Twynam, M. Eng., P.Eng., Structural Engineering Practice Leader
- Marc Winters, P.Eng., Director, Structural Engineering
Learn more about the awards and read the full jury report here.