Biomechanical Division Manager / Ph.D., P.E., ACTAR / San Francisco/Concord
Dr. Panchangam received a Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Michigan. Prior to earning his Ph.D., he received two master’s degrees in disciplines of Physics and a B.Sc. in Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry. He is a registered professional engineer in the provinces of Alberta and British Columbia, Canada. Dr. Panchangam’s primary areas of consulting expertise include injury causation biomechanics, human gait and balance, slips/trips and falls, vehicle accident reconstruction, and occupant motion.
With nearly 10 years of forensic engineering experience, Dr. Panchangam’s knowledge and broad range of skills enable him to answer complex engineering questions and solve unique problems. He has conducted research in multiple aspects of musculoskeletal injury with emphasis on muscle mechanics and injury, and published numerous research articles in national and international organizations. He was awarded the “Young Investigator Award” in 2012 by the Canadian Society of Biomechanics for his research in muscle mechanics. Additionally, Dr. Panchangam has significant academic and industry experience in high-power laser optics, laser protection, and safety. He has expertise in testing and data analysis.
Dr. Panchangam is also an ACTAR-accredited Traffic Accident Reconstructionist. His assessments have included low- and high-speed collisions, rollovers, fatality accidents, pedestrian and bicycle collisions, driver determination, evaluation of seatbelt and other restraint use, site inspection and mapping, vehicle inspections, speed analysis, time-distance analysis, GPS data analysis, Event Data Recorder download and analysis, crash simulations, and nighttime visibility testing.
He is a member of several professional organizations, including the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), the American Society for Testing and Materials International (ASTM), and the International Society of Biomechanics, and is a member of the ASTM Committee on Pedestrian and Walkway Safety (F-13).
Education and Certifications
• Biomedical Engineering, Ph.D.: University of Michigan
• Applied Physics, M.S.: University of Massachusetts
• Physics, M.Sc.: University of Hyderabad, India
• Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry, B.S.: Nagarjuna University, India
• Professional Engineer: Provinces of Alberta and British Columbia, Canada
• Traffic Accident Reconstructionist (ACTAR #3327): Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR)
• Certified Crash Data Retrieval Technician and Analyst (Collision Sciences Institute)
• Certified English XL Tribometrist
• Young Investigator Award: Canadian Society of Biomechanics
• Finalist for Journal of Biomechanics Award: American Society of Biomechanics
• Post-doctoral Research Fellowship: NSERC CREATE Program