David R. Meyers
Fire Practice Leader / IAAI-CFI, NCIAAI / Charlotte
Mr. Meyers is a Certified Fire Investigator (CFI) with the International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI) and a Certified Fire Investigator with the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (Pro Board). Mr. Meyers has extensive experience in all facets of the fire service, having spent over 30 years in the municipal fire service. He spent over 20 years as a fire investigator with multiple jurisdictions, where he investigated and determined the origin and cause of more than 1,000 fires occurring at commercial and residential properties, as well as vehicles, marine vessels, and heavy equipment.
This U.S. Army veteran started his professional career in municipal fire service, where he served as a shift commander, a firefighter paramedic, a fire inspector, and an assistant fire chief. He is certified as a Firefighter II, Hazardous Materials Technician, and HAZWOPER Specialist. He is also a state-licensed Fire Inspector III, Fire Instructor II, Building Inspector I, and Fire Officer II, and has knowledge of proper installation methods and procedures for residential, institutional, and commercial sprinkler systems, fire alarms, and commercial cooking equipment fire suppression systems.
Mr. Meyers possesses extensive knowledge of National Fire Protection Association fire codes and building blueprint plan review regarding compliance with fire, life safety regulations, and building code compliance. He has reviewed and approved various fire protection system plans, including automatic sprinkler systems and fire alarm systems for compliance with local, state, and national applicable codes. He has served as an emergency management coordinator and as a firefighter instructor. One achievement worth noting is his role in conducted fire protection reviews and provided reports and recommendations for NASCAR at large assembly racetracks across the nation.
He has testified in numerous court proceedings and depositions and has completed various educational seminars and continuing education courses in the field of fire investigation.
Education and Certifications
• Fire Science, B.S.: Kaplan University
• Fire Protection, A.S.: Community College of the Air Force
• Fire Science, A.S.: Central Piedmont Community College
• Certified Fire Investigator (CFI): International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI)
• Certified Fire Inspector III: International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC)
• Certified Firefighter II: North Carolina Department of Insurance’s Fire and Rescue Commission
• Certified Hazardous Materials Technician: International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC)
• Certified HAZWOPER Specialist: Cincinnati State College
• U.S. Air Force Non-Commissioned Officer: Certificate of Induction
• North Carolina International Association of Arson Investigators (NCIAAI): Member
• Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Certificate of Achievement: Professional Development Series in Emergency Management
• Odell Fire and Rescue: Firefighter of the Year
• NASCAR: Certification of Appreciation