Mr. Garrick Mitchell graduated magna cum laude from Rice University with a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering in 1993 and an M.S. degree in 1995. Since joining Rimkus in 2000, Mr. Mitchell has performed over well 1,000 forensic investigations, including vehicle accident reconstructions, mechanical failure investigations, and consumer product and patent infringement analyses.
Mr. Mitchell has reconstructed hundreds of vehicle accidents involving cars, trucks, buses, farm equipment, motorcycles, ATVs, forklifts, bicycles, and pedestrians. He mechanically inspects vehicles, performs site inspections, and analyzes pertinent data, including police reports, photographs, videos, driver/witness statements, weather data, cargo securement, and traffic signal data. He is trained and experienced in reconstruction technologies, including digital site mapping, the use of drones for aerial imagery, and the collection and analysis of event data recorder information and other electronic data from cars and trucks.
Mr. Mitchell investigates failures and accidents due to failures in a wide range of mechanical systems, such as vehicles (including engines, transmissions, tires, brakes, and airbags), plumbing (including pipe freezes), HVAC, fire sprinkler systems, consumer products, appliances, door systems, ladders, forklifts, aerial lifts, industrial equipment, and heavy machinery including petroleum drilling and production equipment. Mr. Mitchell has also inspected and analyzed vehicles and equipment involved in fires and evaluated sources of carbon monoxide exposure.
Mr. Mitchell is an expert in bicycle design, fabrication, assembly, and maintenance. He has been a licensed bicycle racer since 1989 and has won multiple state championships. He has ridden over 175,000 miles on- and off-road and has deep insight into how bicycles and other vehicles interact. He applies that expertise in reconstructing bicycle accidents, evaluating bicycle mechanical failures, and assessing the reasonableness and appropriateness of bicyclist actions in an accident. Mr. Mitchell is qualified to deliver deposition and trial testimony of his findings and has testified in federal and state courts.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS:
• Mechanical Engineering, M.S.: Rice University (1995)
• Mechanical Engineering, B.S. (magna cum laude): Rice University (1993)
• Registered Professional Engineer: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming
• Certified Accident Reconstructionist: Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction, ACTAR #1360
• Certified Remote Pilot (Drone operator) for commercial operations under FAA Part 107
• Certified Forklift and Aerial Lift Operator
• Licensed Motorcycle Operator