Michael J. Urban
Transportation Practice Leader / P.E., ACTAR / Detroit
Mr. Urban holds a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering and is a registered professional engineer in several states. He is also a Certified Vehicle Accident Reconstructionist (ACTAR #1798) through the Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction.
His professional background, of over 18 years of experience, consists of automotive design, development, testing, and evaluation of mechanical and structural automotive systems and forensic evaluation of vehicular collisions and product and material failures.
Mr. Urban’s forensic experience includes vehicle accident reconstruction for motorcycles, passenger vehicles, commercial vehicles, and recreational vehicles, as well as vehicle component failure analysis and insurance fraud/consistency evaluations. Mr. Urban also provides services in product and material failure analysis, cause analysis of hydraulic, pneumatic, HVAC and fire protection systems involving plumbing fitting and connections, mechanical equipment and machinery failures, nondestructive examination and testing, product design and assessment of conformance to government, corporate, industry, safety, and international standards. He has provided legal depositions and court testimony in support of technical findings for both civil and criminal proceedings.
Mr. Urban is a voting member of Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) On-Road Autonomous Driving (ORAD) committee and a non-voting member of SAE’s Advanced Driver Assistance Systems Committee. Mr. Urban is also a member of the International Association of Auto Theft Investigators (IAATI).
Education and Certifications
• Mechanical Engineering, B.S.: University of Windsor
• Accident Analysis and Reconstruction (Master’s level courses): Wayne State University
• Registered Professional Engineer: Florida, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Georgia, and Kentucky
• Class “Z” Endorsement – Air Brakes: Ontario Truck Driving School
• Certified Vehicle Accident Reconstructionist: The Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR #1798)
• Certified Forklift Operator
• Certified Aerial Lift Operator