Richard V. Baratta
Senior Vice President, Biomechanical Practice / Ph.D., P.E. / Houston
Dr. Baratta holds a B.S. degree in Biomedical Engineering and Mathematics and an M.S. and Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering.
Dr. Baratta’s experience has included multiple aspects of orthopedic, facial, and spinal biomechanics and rehabilitative engineering and research. He has an extensive publication record addressing basic, applied, and clinical orthopedic topics, and has performed collaborative research with other intramural departments and outside academic and industrial institutions. He has experience in the development, clinical implementation, and writing of FDA submissions for a paraplegic ambulation device. Dr. Baratta taught biomechanics to orthopedic surgeons seeking recertification.
His primary areas of consulting expertise include injury consistency biomechanics, accident reconstruction, medical device failures, and intellectual property. As a forensic investigator, Dr. Baratta performs biomechanical analyses on cases involving low-speed accidents, driver determination, falling objects, slip and falls, amusement rides, and other accidental events. He has reconstructed accidents involving low-speed accidents, high-speed fatality collisions, pedestrian accidents, vehicle rollovers, and other types of accidents.
Dr. Baratta also provides expertise in relation to modified, high-performance, and racing automobiles, and high-performance vehicle occupant protection systems and injury analysis. Dr. Baratta is fluent in English and Spanish and has testified in both depositions and trials in the U.S. and Mexico.
Education and Certifications
• Biomedical Engineering, Ph.D.: Tulane University
• Biomedical Engineering, M.S.: Tulane University
• Biomedical Engineering and Mathematics, B.S.: Tulane University, Magna Cum Laude
• Certified Accident Reconstructionist: Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR #1683)
• Bosch Certified Crash Data Retrieval Technician and Analyst
• Registered Professional Engineer: Texas (#100978), Florida (#70049), Louisiana (#34792), Illinois (#062.061946), Alabama (#30609-E), New York (#087619), Indiana (#10911206), Georgia (#037772), Oklahoma (#26386), Colorado (#47906), and Mississippi (#20899