Mr. Robert Raker holds a B.A. degree in Criminology from The Ohio State University. He is a Certified Fire Investigator through the International Association of Arson Investigators, a Certified Insurance Fraud Investigator through the International Association of Special Investigative Units, and a Fraud Claims Law Associate through the American Educational Institute. He is Pro Board certified as a Fire Investigator through the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications. Additionally, he is a Certified Fireplace and Chimney Inspector through the Fireplace Investigation, Research, and Education Service. His professional career includes both public and private sector experience.
Mr. Raker has an extensive background in fire origin and cause investigation, insurance fraud investigation, and criminal investigation. He is active in the International Association of Arson Investigators and has served on the Board of Directors and as President of the Ohio Chapter. Mr. Raker serves as a member of the Planning Committee for The Ohio Arson School, Inc. In this capacity, he assists with the development of training for the annual school. Mr. Raker became a Certified Fire Investigator in 2010 and was involved with origin and cause expert vetting for use by a large insurance company. He is a former police officer and has served as a court investigator, probation officer, and death investigator.
Mr. Raker worked in the insurance industry for over 32 years. Over 21 years of this time was as a Claim Specialist in the Special Investigative Unit. In this capacity, he investigated potential arson, fraud, and other non-meritorious claims. He has an extensive background in interviewing policyholders, witnesses, law enforcement officials, fire department officials, and others as necessary. He conducted financial background and public records investigations and assisted origin and cause experts with scene evaluations. In addition to property fraud, Mr. Raker also evaluated medical treatment records in conjunction with potential fraud associated with motor vehicle crashes. He has presented and reviewed investigative findings to defense counsel and assisted with the development of litigation strategy. Mr. Raker has a thorough understanding of insurance company operations. Specifically, he understands the needs of claims professionals and attorneys where potential subrogation or fraud is involved. His years of experience allow him to thoroughly collect and process all the information necessary for clients to quickly move forward.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS:
• Bachelor of Arts in Criminology: The Ohio State University, 1986
• Certified Fire Investigator: International Association of Arson Investigators, 2010
• Certified Fireplace & Chimney Inspector, Fireplace Investigation, Research & Education Service, 2022
• Licensed Private Investigator: Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Indiana
• Certified Insurance Fraud Investigator: International Association of Special Investigative Units, 2008
• Fraud Claims Law Associate: American Educational Institute, 2001
• Ohio Peace Officer Certification (expired), Central Ohio Police Officers Training Academy, 1991
• Volunteer Fire Fighters Course, Ohio Fire Academy, 1987