Ted F. Hutchinson
Principal Consultant / P.E., NAFI-CFEI / Kansas City / St. Louis / Springfield
Mr. Hutchinson holds a B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering and is a registered professional engineer in six states. He is also a Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator.
His professional career includes extensive practical experience in electrical engineering, including high voltage and high current research and development, lightning simulation, surge suppression, and electrical troubleshooting. He is highly experienced in the evaluation of electrical fire causes, including structural, automotive, marine, and industrial fire cases.
Mr. Hutchinson’s experience also includes electrical field theory and evaluation of electrical breakdowns leading to failures. He has extensive experience with manufacturing systems and automation control. Additionally, he has experience with fiber optic control and sensors specifically relating to fiber-optic current sensors.
Mr. Hutchison’s case experience includes electrical service equipment failures, electrocutions, electrical shocks/injuries, building code issues, structural fires, automotive and marine fires, appliance defect claims, cable damage evaluations, industrial production failures and losses, power surge analysis, lightning damage assessment, wiring damage/defect analysis, HVAC control circuit analysis, lithium battery failures, and commercial boiler fires.
Mr. Hutchinson is regularly called upon to provide technical assistance relating to electrical failures, electrical injuries, lightning damage, and fire causation.
Education and Certifications
• Electrical Engineering, B.S. (Power Option): Brigham Young University
• Registered Professional Engineer: Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Arkansas, and Illinois
• Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator: National Association of Fire Investigators
• Memberships: Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE); National Fire Protection Association (NFPA); National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI); International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI)
• Hazardous Materials Technician: HAZWOPER
• Asbestos Operations and Maintenance
• Certified Aerial Lift and Forklift Operator
• Six Sigma Green Belt Course: General Electric
• Eagle Scout