Zhongyuan (Zack) Qian
Senior Consultant / Ph.D., P.E. / Houston
Dr. Qian is licensed Professional Engineer in Texas and has over ten years of combined research and engineering experience in materials science and engineering. He received his Ph.D. degree in Materials Science and Engineering at Iowa State University, where he studied renewable energy materials and materials behaviors under static and dynamic conditions.
Dr. Qian’s area of expertise includes materials failure analysis, corrosion analysis & prevention, physical metallurgy, materials selection, materials characterization & development, Finite Element Modeling (FEA), and fitness for service analysis. He has extensive experience in materials failure analysis and consultation for clients in oil & gas, petrochemical, construction, power & utility and automotive industries. He has specialty in steels, non-ferrous metals as well as plastics.
- Drilling pipe and coupling failures
- Pressure vessel failures including heat exchanger and pressure container.
- Refinery equipment failures
- Construction materials damages and failures, such as steel structure, rebar, steel cable, fasteners and roofing
- Commercial and residential water damage caused by pipes and valves failure, sprinkler system failure, stainless steel hose failure, and PVC pipe failure
- Power plant turbocharger system failure
- Spring failures, fastener failures and other automotive component failures
- Pipeline corrosion damages
- Evaluate materials from fire damage
Education and Registrations
- Materials Science and Engineering, Ph.D.: Iowa State University
- Material Science and Engineering, B.S.: Shanghai JiaoTong University
- Registered Professional Engineer: Texas