Lino O. Garcia
Senior Consultant / Ph.D., P.Eng., ACTAR, CATAIR / Houston
Dr. Garcia holds a Ph.D. in Mechanical/Civil Engineering. He is a registered professional engineer in Ontario, Canada. Dr. Garcia is also an accredited accident reconstructionist through The Canadian Association of Technical Accident Investigators and Reconstructionists and the Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstructionists (ACTAR #3118).
His research area of focus was rollover propensity of heavy trucks on highway curves under various loading conditions. His background has provided him with experience in vehicle and machinery mechanical inspections and failure analysis, motor vehicle accident reconstruction, heavy truck collision analysis, bicycle and pedestrian accident reconstruction, human factors (visibility, perception-reaction time), seatbelt/child seat assessment, low-speed collision analysis and occupant kinematics, highway geometric design assessment and roadside safety assessment, assessment of winter maintenance roadway operations, and computer simulation. Dr. Garcia is a certified operator of the Bosch Crash Data Retrieval system and also has experience with downloading and analyzing data from Engine Control Modules (ECMs) in commercial vehicles. Dr. Garcia is professionally trained and certified by the Berla Corporation on vehicles’ infotainment system removal, data acquisition, and analysis. He has also taught undergraduate courses on vehicle dynamics.
He has reconstructed accidents involving commercial tractor/trailers, high-speed fatality collisions, daytime and nighttime pedestrian accidents, car-bicycle and car-motorcycle collisions, vehicle rollovers, and low-speed collisions. He also evaluates intersection collisions involving traffic signal timing analysis. He has worked on product liability cases involving vehicle systems and motorcycles. He has provided expert testimony in Ontario, Canada, and Texas. Dr. Garcia is also a certified operator of aerial boom and aerial scissor lifts. He is fluent in English and Spanish.
Education and Certifications
• Mechanical/Civil Engineering, Ph.D.: University of Brunswick
• Mechanical Engineering, B.S.: Instituto Superior Politecnico “José A. Echeverría”, (Currently University of Technology), Havana, Cuba
• Registered Professional Engineer: Texas
• Certified operator of the Vehicle Forensic Infotaintment Data Analysis Digital Tool (iVe): Berla Corporation
• Registered Professional Engineer (PEO): Ontario, Canada
• Accredited Accident Reconstructionist: The Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstructionists ACTAR # 3118
• Accredited Accident Reconstructionist: The Canadian Association of Technical Accident Investigators and Reconstructionists (CATAIR)
• Certified Aerial Boom and Aerial Scissor Lift Operator: United Academy, ID #2445000
• Bosch CDR Certified Operator: Collision Safety Institute