Mr. Young has completed and maintains state national and international certifications as Fire Investigator, Fire Investigator Instructor, Fire Inspector, Fire Officer, and Basic Fire Instructor. He has also authored fire safety articles in fire engineering publications, as well as firehouse and local municipality newsletters. He participates in, designs, and instructs educational seminars and continuing educational courses. He has conducted Live Burn Testing to include appliances, vehicles, and closed room fire tests and studies.
Mr. Young’s professional career includes 27 years with St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue. In that capacity, he has been involved in many different emergency service positions including Fire Fighter, Driver Engineer, Station/Line Officer, Public Information Officer, Community Affairs Director, Deputy Fire Marshal, and Fire Investigations Task Force Supervisor. As a Florida State Certified Fire Inspector, he oversaw code compliance, crowd management, fire safety analysis, special events, safety management, commercial and industrial fire emergency operations and reviewing fire contingency plans. Mr. Young supervised the origin and cause efforts for the St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue for over 10 years. He has testified as an expert witness in court cases and has testified before a Grand Jury. He has also been involved in special projects such as juvenile fire setters, an educational intervention program that through a committee-based approached he was instrumental in developing. He has served as the department’s shipboard firefighting Instructor. He has a strong marine, automobile, and heavy equipment investigative background. Mr. Young has been recognized for his achievements by being the recipient of awards that include, Fire Officer of the Year, and The State of Florida’s, Florida Fire Marshals Public Educator of the Year.
Currently, Mr. Young oversees the fire investigation efforts, which include training, hiring, and supervising a team of highly trained and experienced fire consultants. He maintains state private investigator licenses as the Business and Compliance Manager in multiple states.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS:
• Fire Science: A.S.: St Petersburg College (1999)
• Certified Fire Investigator: International Association of Arson Investigators (2004)
• Auto Endorsement (V): International Association of Arson Investigators (2016)
• Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator: National Association of Fire Investigators (2001)
• Certified Fire Safety Inspector: Florida (since 1989)
• Certified Fire Officer: Florida (since 1989)
• Nationally Certified Fire Investigator Instructor (2001)
• Certified Fire Investigator Instructor: National Association of Fire Investigators
• Certified Fire Service Instructor: Florida ( 1989)
• Computer Fire Modeling: National Association of Fire Investigators (2003)
• University of Florida, Fire Marshal Association of North America Fire Protection Institute Training
• Shipboard Firefighting: U.S. Dept. of Transportation Maritime Administration
• Automobile endorsement certification (V): International Association of Arson Investigators (2016)
• National Board of Fire Service Professional Qualifications: 1033 NFPA
• Private Investigator Agency Licensing: all required states in the Eastern Region
• Automotive Repair Technician Certification: Penn Foster College Fall (2012)
• Forensic X-Ray Equipment Certified and Equipment Safety Manager: Golden Engineering (2006)
• Licensed Private Investigator: Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, Delaware, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Massachusetts
• Memberships: National Fire Protection Association Member; IAAI. Florida Chapter Regional Director (PAST)